1/6/22 - Possible First Snow of the Season for Some

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Re: 1/6/22 - Possible First Snow of the Season for Some

Post by winterstormjoe »

young pup wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 am Got a maybe a little over a quarter of an inch. Just enough for the Columbus drivers to lose their minds. :)
Hey JP, I ended up measuring 1/8th of an inch enough to make the ugly gray sidewalks white, I estimated that it was falling at a rate of 1/16th of an inch an hour. At that rate if it would have fallen for 12 hours I would have close to 2/3rds of an inch of snow. Sheesh lol
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

young pup wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 am Got a maybe a little over a quarter of an inch. Just enough for the Columbus drivers to lose their minds. :)
Same here - and there was almost zero snow! BG had a chart in one of his snowtalk videos about the accident rates compared to snowfall amounts for Louisville and prob not surprisingly the highest accident rates were where snowfall was lightest. Likely a combination of people staying home when you get buried in snow to people being overconfident the roads aren't slippery when you only have a dusting or inch.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am
Same here - and there was almost zero snow! BG had a chart in one of his snowtalk videos about the accident rates compared to snowfall amounts for Louisville and prob not surprisingly the highest accident rates were where snowfall was lightest. Likely a combination of people staying home when you get buried in snow to people being overconfident the roads aren't slippery when you only have a dusting or inch.
I couldn't agree more. I think the same can be said for Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Summary of totals from the boys:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20220106
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 am
Hey JP, I ended up measuring 1/8th of an inch enough to make the ugly gray sidewalks white, I estimated that it was falling at a rate of 1/16th of an inch an hour. At that rate if it would have fallen for 12 hours I would have close to 2/3rds of an inch of snow. Sheesh lol
I guess we got a little more than quarter of an inch here looking at a summary Les shared on FB. Didn't seem like it, but I was focused on treating properties and not measuring. LOL
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:12 pm
cloudy72 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am
I couldn't agree more. I think the same can be said for Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus. :lol:
I third agree more. :) It was nuts, I just ended up staying off the freeway and sticking to the side streets to get where I needed to go. :)