AV Turns 15 in August!

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

AV Turns 15 in August!

Post by tron777 »

Absolute Vorticity was started back in August of 2008 by Trevor. I have been an Admin since that time and many of you have been along for the ride with us! We have picked up some new faces along the way and have missed some old ones, too. We've had our up's and down's including losing the original site in Feb of 2021 and gaining the new current one at that time thanks to the hard work of Aaron, Trevor, and myself.

What are some of your favorite memories of being on our forum for the last 15 years? (For those of you who have been around that long) If you are newer to the forum you can still answer the same question. ;) What are some of your favorite weather events that we have covered together? What can we do better? Leave your comments in this thread as we celebrate AV's 15th Birthday during the month of August.

15th-birthday-48.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Re: AV Turns 15 in August!

Post by dce »

The March 2012 tornado outbreak stands out. Also the entire winter of 13-14. I'm sure other events will stand out as other people post their memories of past events.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Totally agree Doug on the 2013-2014 winter! We had some fun in Feb of 2015 too! Feb of 2010 was a great one as well as Feb of 2021 right before the old site crashed on us. :lol: For severe wx June of 2008 was a nice hail event imby and Ike in Sept of 2008... who can forget that one.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Happy 15th AV! And thank you Trev, Aaron and Les for your dedication and hard work in maintaining this site!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

For starters for me, the Ike remnants of Sept 2008 as that's the time period that my paternal grandfather passed away as a result of a bowel obstruction which caused aspiration in his lungs as a complication at the age of 94 in Anderson, IN. My folks, sister, and I traveled from NC for the funeral. Some of Ike's remnants caused some minor damage in Anderson including a downed tree e.g. along a street in a 'hood that an aunt and uncle resided in.

The winter of 2013-'14 was the first one for my folks and I as we felt called back to Ohio in July of '13 to help out with my maternal grandmother who resided in assisted living here in Greenville. She passed away at 96 a few days after Easter in April 2014 and is buried in Princeton, IN. In early Dec 2013 and on the eve of my dad having had a hip replacement in Kettering it started sleeting here in Greenville at the onset after my folks left for Kettering and as I was parking my Toyota Camry car in our garage. Two days later on Sat there was a pretty blanket of snow and after I finished shoveling, I received a call from a cousin who also resides in G'ville. I jumped in the shower, changed clothes, and then went with my cousin, his wife, an aunt, and uncle to the hospital to see my dad and also my mom who understandably stayed the whole time with dad. This particular knee and hip surgeon enjoyed doing simple doodle type drawings on patients bandages and because it was Dec he had drawn a Christmas tree. :santa: Dad, thankfully, is still doing very well with his artificial hip! :thumbupleft:

Also I was blessed to have found out about Trevor and Absolute Vorticity through a news article via another wx friend named Mary, who also resides in Cincy during our time at the former TWC message boards, and its been a very special and wonderful experience since that day discussing with and enjoying the fellowship with our AV Community whom I will always consider as Family Friendship!! :grouphug: 8-)

Thank you always very much to our friend Trevor and his family's courageous miraculous tornado survival account which in part sparked Trev's meteorology interest and he and his folks' launch of AV. :thumbsup:

CONGRATULATIONS AND HAPPY BIG 15TH AV AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH TREVOR, HIS FOLKS STEVE AND JILL, AND TO LES AND AARON!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thank you Eric for that wonderful tribute! You have definitely been with us since the beginning! :) From your days in NC to being back in OH. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:53 pm Happy 15th AV! And thank you Trev, Aaron and Les for your dedication and hard work in maintaining this site!
Always great to have you here Mike. You also have been around for a long time. Keep on posting and doing what you do! Hope to see both our domes cash in for rainfall and snowfall this winter too! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

I think I joined around 2012 or so I dont remember. I am not on here very often since I do not live in the OV . My seasons are fall and winter and I like to keep tabs on how things are going out there. I also want to be here when the next blizzard hits your area. its been 15 years I believe. hard to believe !
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:20 am I think I joined around 2012 or so I dont remember. I am not on here very often since I do not live in the OV . My seasons are fall and winter and I like to keep tabs on how things are going out there. I also want to be here when the next blizzard hits your area. its been 15 years I believe. hard to believe !
Glad to have you with us all these years Charles especially since we are more OV focused. If you ever need a forecast or have a question about your area, feel free to ask! I'll try and research what I can. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

15 years goes by quick. First of all the main reason this site works are the people who keep it going day to day. Les,Trevor and everyone else that keeps this going I Thank You. To me what I love is having a passion and able to share with other folks. This passion has never wavered over the years and hopefully this continues. Having disagreements is going to happen but we do it in a nice manner and that is hard to find these days. I will continue to be on this site until Les kicks me off.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tim... it's a wonder I haven't been kicked off yet! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

I go back to the old Skyeye days, still remember most fondly the Apuzzo Blizzard before Christmas 2004. I knew well in advance what the weather was going to be like that day; sadly, my Company had no clue, so they delayed sending employees home until it was really already too late. I, however, knew better and bailed out by lunchtime and was nice and safe and warm at home. Rich's forum was where I met many of you.

As for AV, for me its gotta be the March 2012 tornado outbreak; I remember the couple weeks leading up to it, the analysis on here sniffing something interesting out that we all could watch out for. Then, as the outbreak grew closer, we continued to see trends that got us all excited. Day of, I remember sitting in my cube here at work, my cube was right next to my boss' cube. First off, I had sent a rather detailed synopsis of what folks might expect to all my coworkers and leaders. All morning long, I kept refreshing the forum, I really don't think I actually did any real work, just "AV Watchin'" :) Every refresh, the next post was more exciting than the last. I kept saying out loud things like "Oh Jesus!" or "My God!" or "Holy Smokes!". I think my boss was actually getting pissed at me because every time I did it, someone near me would hear me and ask "What?" and I'd show them/explain it to them. Again, I knew our Company's tornado plan would be to make everyone go to the basement of this concrete and steel monstrosity, and I had no intention of being caught in the basement when I might have a chance to "see the elephant" so I planned to hit the doors before the storm got here. However, this time, my company decided to send people home early, and as I was walking out, I recognized a young lady who I knew lived in KY; I asked her where she was heading, and it was basically right down I75. I told her to watch it, as she was heading right into where it was going to hit. Luckily, she made it home OK. I recall watching the remnants of the Holton cell as they made their way towards SE Indiana. Drawing a line, that storm was headed roughly at my home over in Colerain Twp/Northgate area. Miraculously, that one fell apart as it approached the Lawrenceburg/West Harrison area. But still recall Aaron posting some pics of how jacked up Moscow, Ohio was, and we saw the devastation in Piner, KY.

We've been thru many ups and many downs here on AV. I'm looking forward to being around for many more. As Charles said, maybe we'll finally get our big Blizzard (one that actually snows, rather than a 13 hour Sleet Fest! :) ) Thanks one and all for being my weather buddies and here's to many more years of discussion with you all!
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Love having you here Dave! Thanks for being with us all these years! :drinkingcheers:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Dave, the March outbreak is the biggest story but for a sad reason. Many folks on here know but my wife worked with and was good friends with a lady at work that lost her better half that day while driving a truck in Grant County. She was on the phone with him when this happened and the conversation ended when the tornado flip his truck and he lost his life. I met the man several times and he just was a down to earth hard working guy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:17 pm Dave, the March outbreak is the biggest story but for a sad reason. Many folks on here know but my wife worked with and was good friends with a lady at work that lost her better half that day while driving a truck in Grant County. She was on the phone with him when this happened and the conversation ended when the tornado flip his truck and he lost his life. I met the man several times and he just was a down to earth hard working guy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I've been thru Moscow many times fishing in the winter putting in at the ramp in Nelsonville on the Ohio. Moscow is a small town as most know and yeah, the town took a direct hit from the storm. Thank goodness it missed what was then, the nuclear plant!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

I, like Dave, got connected to AV through Skyeye Weather and RA. I really miss that old server that had our original "joined" date on it. As you guys know, I'm mostly just a reader that contributes observations from this neck of the woods. I've probably read 98% of Les's posts and that's saying something. I'm retired now so I'm on the board all day every day. My best days are the ones leading up to a major snowstorm. The ups and the downs as the models giveth and taketh away - it adrenaline inducing. Anyway, thanks to all for supporting this site and contributing your knowledge. It's MUCH appreciated!!!

Hey Les, do you remember what year we had that picnic down near your place? Seems like we had some heavy storms just prior to the picnic and that cut down on attendance. Your memories?
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

snowbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:05 pm I, like Dave, got connected to AV through Skyeye Weather and RA. I really miss that old server that had our original "joined" date on it. As you guys know, I'm mostly just a reader that contributes observations from this neck of the woods. I've probably read 98% of Les's posts and that's saying something. I'm retired now so I'm on the board all day every day. My best days are the ones leading up to a major snowstorm. The ups and the downs as the models giveth and taketh away - it adrenaline inducing. Anyway, thanks to all for supporting this site and contributing your knowledge. It's MUCH appreciated!!!

Hey Les, do you remember what year we had that picnic down near your place? Seems like we had some heavy storms just prior to the picnic and that cut down on attendance. Your memories?
Yes! We had the AV BBQ at the Boone Co. Arboretum that one of our members Kris, is the managing director of, so he got us a shelter to host the get together. The weather was totally against us! Remember the lovely 40+ mph wind gusts? Tree branches coming down and everything! :lol: No rain just big wind! Robert came, you, Rich G, Jason, myself... can't remember who else. I know there weren't many. It was right near Easter too. I am trying to remember the year but it escapes me. Probably in the 2016-2018 range or something. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:28 am
snowbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:05 pm I, like Dave, got connected to AV through Skyeye Weather and RA. I really miss that old server that had our original "joined" date on it. As you guys know, I'm mostly just a reader that contributes observations from this neck of the woods. I've probably read 98% of Les's posts and that's saying something. I'm retired now so I'm on the board all day every day. My best days are the ones leading up to a major snowstorm. The ups and the downs as the models giveth and taketh away - it adrenaline inducing. Anyway, thanks to all for supporting this site and contributing your knowledge. It's MUCH appreciated!!!

Yes! We had the AV BBQ at the Boone Co. Arboretum that one of our members Kris, is the managing director of, so he got us a shelter to host the get together. The weather was totally against us! Remember the lovely 40+ mph wind gusts? Tree branches coming down and everything! :lol: No rain just big wind! Robert came, you, Rich G, Jason, myself... can't remember who else. I know there weren't many. It was right near Easter too. I am trying to remember the year but it escapes me. Probably in the 2016-2018 range or something. :lol:
Hi Les,

I remember a post from Linn that he was there, too. :) What username did or possibly still does Robert use? Is Rich G the one who now lives in Oklahoma?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:32 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:28 am

Hi Les,

I remember a post from Linn that he was there, too. :) What username did or possibly still does Robert use? Is Rich G the one who now lives in Oklahoma?
Yes! Linn was definitely there! I knew I forgot a few. :lol: Robert never signed up for our new forum to my knowledge. He lives in Colorado now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

rhodesman88
Rain Shower

Post by rhodesman88 »

Happy BDay, AV! Question, Les... do you remember what storm it was when you debuted Hammer!?!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

rhodesman88 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:10 pm Happy BDay, AV! Question, Les... do you remember what storm it was when you debuted Hammer!?!
Was it March of 2008 or sometime during that magical Feb of 2010? I'm going with March of 2008. Sucks we lost eveything and I can't go back and look. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

rhodesman88
Rain Shower

Post by rhodesman88 »

Ahh... I forgot all of that AV Historical data is gone. :banghead:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Our Birthday Month has arrived! Happy 15th Birthday AV!!!!! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY BIG 15TH AV!!!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: 8-)