Tornado 9 year Anniversary

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Tornado 9 year Anniversary

Post by fyrfyter »

Just a reminder that today is the 9 year anniversary of the Piner tornado. This also went on to hit Moscow in Clermont County. There are a lot of tweets and posts on Social Media today in memory of this.

There is a reason we do what we do. We don’t want to see people hurt and things destroyed, but it is the reality of Mother Nature.

Here are some of the photos I got near the scene, when I ran some radio equipment to Red Cross field units on that Friday night.
2A8F9AE6-6688-469E-9627-2180FC670BB7.jpeg
00018849-DE10-4C7C-8D59-FF906300222D.jpeg
Pics 1 & 2 - trees snapped like twigs.
CAAD96E4-86D5-4514-BD7F-F2DBF6A0B36A.jpeg
2 story house without a roof.
0C03BE94-B1B0-49F1-94CE-01F7264D3582.jpeg
B2F47161-CF72-4102-9C36-91E5C0F7791E.jpeg
FC78CAAD-E81A-491B-8A6A-1D44FAE98567.jpeg
Marathon Gas Station under construction. The building was cinder block walls and a roof and it was destroyed, while the canopy was fully intact. This also dropped the Duke Energy high tension lines into the Ohio River. USCG had closed river traffic at this location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Tornado 9 year Anniversary

Post by tron777 »

Seen a lot of stuff on social media about it today. My memory was that the tornado warned cell passed about 10 miles south of me across S Boone co on its way to do damage in Piner, KY then on to the river where it got Moscow. Then 2 1/2 to 3 days later, a clipper system moved thru bringing NKY 2-3" of snow. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

I also remember some unique things what had never heard before while on WARN/Skywarn net.

Debris falling out of the sky in terms of paperwork in Delhi, with NKY addresses on it.
The sky looking black and nasty- like scary looking.
Debris falling on the runways at CVG- like 2x4s, and wood and other stuff. It initiated an extended full ground stop even after the storm to clean up the runways, taxiways, and tarmacs.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

One thing that stands out to me was temps were in upper 30s to start the day, and I believe were still in the 40s late morning/noonish . I remember thinking there's no way we can get the instability in time. Another amazing learning experience meteorological
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Video of an EF3 near Crittenden, KY:

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Sawdoggie
Rain Shower

Post by Sawdoggie »

The Clermont county sheriff at the time put a large collection out on Flicker of the damage around Moscow. The house I grew up in wasn’t too badly damaged, but lost its porch (6th and 7th pictures, next to the church). https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheriffaj ... 960216997/
Christian
Madeira by week, Ripley, OH by weekend
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHRIPLE5
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

March 2, 2012 was without a doubt one of the most stressful times for me as a forecaster. I was at Ohio University studying meteorology and journalism at the time. The days leading up to the tornado outbreak featured a general consensus among the forecast models that there was big trouble on the way for the Ohio Valley and points south. The night before, I took a break from data analyses and took a walk to the gym to workout. I had a very bad feeling the entire time. Finished the workout, came back to Sargeant Hall, and spent another few hours looking over the newest model runs before calling it a night. I knew the next day would feature a lot of bad news.

After about three hours of sleep, I was up and at it tracking the early meteorological details for the day. Having lived through an F-4 tornado as a youngster, it was incredibly difficult to watch conditions fall in place that could (and eventually would) produce major tornadoes in the tri-state area. All while I was in Southeast Ohio on the outside looking in to what was going to be a destructive day in my stomping grounds.

I skipped all classes that day and posted up in the commons area of my dorm hall as major tornado producing supercells tracked just to the south of Cincinnati.

Pretty sure my “holy shit” moment came when the weather service issued a Tornado Emergency for areas along and south of the river, as well as CVG initiating a ground stop due to significant debris falling onto the runways from the large tornadoes tracking just a couple miles to the south of the airport.

Attached is one of my posts from the morning of March 2, 2012. Probably some of the strongest wording I’ve ever used to relay a significant weather concern in my long history of posting weather updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

The following severe season (2013) was wild in Oklahoma. Moore and then El Reno. My Meso Met Prof was actually involved in the El Reno data sampling. She was in the radar vehicle (DOW) that observed the insane winds from the El Reno tornado.

After that, summer 2013 involved me back in town and meeting up with the late Rich Apuzzo for lunches. Per his request we usually settled on Panera. He would suggest that I join his site (W3) and then I would say yeah only if you join AV and we would both laugh. :lol:

I do miss the lunches with him. He would judge me for picking off the tomatoes from my sandwiches :lol:
Silverton, OH

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

good stuff here; What an historic weather day that one was.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

House of Cards wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:17 pm good stuff here; What an historic weather day that one was.
For sure! One of the positives about the day was that these were “plains style” supercells which allowed for better warning time versus the spin ups we usually see around here. Lives were lost, but no doubt many were saved with the extended warning lead time.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Here are some videos ILN made about the day from their perspective.

Silverton, OH

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

Trevor wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:20 pm
House of Cards wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:17 pm good stuff here; What an historic weather day that one was.
For sure! One of the positives about the day was that these were “plains style” supercells which allowed for better warning time versus the spin ups we usually see around here. Lives were lost, but no doubt many were saved with the extended warning lead time.
I had a reply on the March thread about this one; I remember reading the forum leading up to and then the actual day of the event. My boss was ready to send me home because not only did I not do a thing work-wise, but my continual "Oh My God's" or "Holy Smokes!" were causing everyone around me to keep stopping their work to see what I was seeing at the moment.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

House of Cards wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:56 pm
Trevor wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:20 pm
I had a reply on the March thread about this one; I remember reading the forum leading up to and then the actual day of the event. My boss was ready to send me home because not only did I not do a thing work-wise, but my continual "Oh My God's" or "Holy Smokes!" were causing everyone around me to keep stopping their work to see what I was seeing at the moment.
I feel ya! Like I said in a previous post, I skipped all of my classes that day and posted up in my dorm conference room for a solid eight hours tracking and updating my FB page, forum, and also making calls to family and friends back home. Longgg day for sure.
Silverton, OH

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

finally finished watching all 4 parts, that was a very well done documentary ILN put together.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

House of Cards wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:08 pm finally finished watching all 4 parts, that was a very well done documentary ILN put together.
Agreed! ILN posted it a year after the outbreak. I watched it when it came out and try to watch it every year around this time. It’s good stuff 👍
Silverton, OH