April 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

April 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

As we near the second month of Met Spring, the data continues to show cooler then avg temps for the first 10 to 14 days of the month. We may see a cool Easter as well. We will continue to see deep troughs over the East with 3-5 day cool snaps. A few flakes as well. Then we warm up for a day or two, receive strong storms, then cool back down again. This pattern looks to continue to keep repeating itself for the next couple of weeks.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Re: April 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by Trevor »

Cold springs are getting quite annoying here :lol:

Been the trend for a few years now.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 am Cold springs are getting quite annoying here :lol:

Absolutely. This year attm, is looking the same. If the CFS V2 is to be believed, it's 30 day outlook from Mid April to Mid may is solidly below avg for temps.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Maybe in some ways its 'good' wx wise that this year's Redlegs home opener isn't until April 12th! ;)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:26 am Maybe in some ways its 'good' wx wise that this year's Redlegs home opener isn't until April 12th! ;)
6Z GFS has temps in the low to mid 60s at this time. Naturally it's going to change a bunch between now and then. The chances for snow should be lower then in years past but not zero as last year showed us when we got snow in late April. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A quick check of the MJO and before you read any further... guess which phase it's in right now, if any? Think....

Ok, if you guessed the neutral circle, you'd be correct! :) After phase 3 yet again, the MJO impulse died and that's all she wrote. We continue to be stuck in a pattern where the dominant convection and tropical forcing continues to be focused over the Indian ocean. If we continue to see the MJO make the tour thru the IO phases (mainly 2 and 3) then severe wx risks for us should increase as we eventually get more warmth into the picture. However, we still run the risks of cool shots of air from time to time as well. Same pattern we've basically been in for a while now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

April will start off cold with a few flakes even possible tomorrow morning. :lol: This is no April's Fools joke either. We'll be on the backside of the upper low by then. A small system zips on by Sat afternoon and night with light rain possible nothing major. We could use some rain here. I didn't get much put of that overnight system. 0.02" here and CVG. :lol: so it is needed.

We may see some beneficial rains next week with a slow moving storm system and a couple of frontal passes. Timing of periods of rain is Monday night thru Thurs or so with the last frontal passage. This is a stronger cold front so another shot of cold air comes Fri / Next weekend. Could even end this event with some flakes yet again. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

CIPS guidance hinting at another big severe weather outbreak down south from Texas to the Carolinas next Tuesday/Wednesday. Welcome to April! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 am CIPS guidance hinting at another big severe weather outbreak down south from Texas to the Carolinas next Tuesday/Wednesday. Welcome to April! :)
Yep! Maybe near or after mid month more warmth can get injected into the pattern and moisture too for some boomers! :) I'm done with the wind thanks. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:46 am
cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 am CIPS guidance hinting at another big severe weather outbreak down south from Texas to the Carolinas next Tuesday/Wednesday. Welcome to April! :)
Yep! Maybe near or after mid month more warmth can get injected into the pattern and moisture too for some boomers! :) I'm done with the wind thanks. :lol:
Same here bro! :)

Some of those gusts yesterday and last night seemed like easy shingle removers i.e.! ;)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:39 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:46 am
Same here bro! :)

Some of those gusts last night seemed like easy shingle removers i.e.! ;)
I heard it several times yesterday and overnight. Def had some 50+ gusts imby... without a doubt.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Models this afternoon thru mid month keep repeating the same pattern. A couple of smaller systems coming up but another warm up and bigger system by Wed and or Thurs of next week. Then we warm up again and get another strong front and cool down just in time for Easter! IMO Easter looks cold right now but the timing of any storm systems between now and then can certainly change. I have to celebrate Easter on a different day this year since I'll most likely be at Lake Erie pre-fishing for the MWC tournament the following week. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Happy April Fool's Day to you all and Mother Nature has some flakes out there for you to enjoy this morning so she is playing her joke on us all! :lol: Next system zips in late Sat / Sat night with a decent Sun and Mon. More rain Tues, Wed, ending as some possible flakes sometime after that with our next shot of cold air towards the end of next week and next weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Seeing a snow shower right now :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some impressive flakes falling even though nothing is sticking. What say you Trev? :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Same here - nice snow shower moved through and actually briefly saw some whiteness in flower beds/roof tops. Current Temp is 35 - Low was 34.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

There's a dusting on the ground around the Dayton airport.
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Looks like the show is winding down here. That's too bad, what a shame! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 am Cold springs are getting quite annoying here :lol:

a few? I think it's more like 5 years straight now. As soon as we kept hitting those above average temps in the middle of March I was like "here we go again"..
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

sbpstudios wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:54 am

a few? I think it's more like 5 years straight now. As soon as we kept hitting those above average temps in the middle of March I was like "here we go again"..
How 'bout dem flakes, Roy! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still only around 40 or 41 right now and we're not going to get past the mid 40s due to clouds. Getting a few peaks of the sun but not much.

We've got the little system this weekend that zips on thru. Then for next week, the new GFS run here tracks the low right over us so much further north. More heavier rain would be likely and even a T-storm as a result, if this is correct. Then another front on Wed. with a cut off low bringing unsettled weather thru next weekend. A few rain showers and yes snow flakes again are possible.

We warm up again the following week and do it all again as we approach Easter. :lol: It's too early to know about severe wx but if that low on Tues keeps trending more north, well... maybe? :) Right now TN Valley on South is favored for Tues and Wed.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Didn't see any snow showers or even a dusting here in G'ville this morning. :lol:

Currently 36 which I wish was an April Fool's joke! :P
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro is no joke with a large upper low by next Fri and Sat coming thru. Mixed rain and snow showers likely should this solution be correct. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:48 pm 12Z Euro is no joke with a large upper low by next Fri and Sat coming thru. Mixed rain and snow showers likely should this solution be correct. :lol:
Good thing the Redlegs opening series vs the Braves next weekend will be in Atlanta. ;)