May 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: May 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and what an explosion of storms to the west. Brian had a wonderful video and the explanation was perfect. Storms with tornado's breaking out and will continue for several hours and the storms will finally combine and we have more of a straight line wind event. Plenty of heavy rain likely. The big question how far north will the severe weather end up going and I guess you can use I-70 as a decent point but folks towards Indy may have a better shot since they are in line first before the complex later tonight weakens. Locally I believe everyone is in line for some decent storms and some could be severe especially south and west.

What a busy spring and hopefully we can get a break for most of the upcoming week.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good evening Tim.... great post! Latest HRRR run is coming in now and it has everything congealing into a line over the next 2-3 hours. Then the storms head our way and weaken right as they move into the I-75 corridor. Can we dodge a bullet? It'll be close for Cincinnati for sure. Definitely the best chance is west / SW as you mentioned. Arrival time for Cincy is in the 12am to 1am window per the 23Z HRRR run.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 80, DAY 81 and CMH 83 today.
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

Tornado Watch!
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

A couple tornadoes possible

Widespread damaging winds likely with isolated significant gusts to 75 mph possible

Isolated large hail events to 1 inch in diameter possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and a Happy Memorial Day to you as well. Please remember our fallen heroes today! :usa:

I heard my weather radio going off like 2 or 3 different times last night. It was pretty noisy too with the thunder. Total rainfall for the event measured 0.30" at the Boone Co mesonet site. CVG picked up 0.52" and I got around 0.41". Not as much rain to be honest as I was expecting for my hood, but it is all about location. Numerous places got an inch and some over 2". So all in all not a terrible forecast. Not great but not a complete bust. :lol: The usual limbs came down that I always get during windy spells. Nothing major here thankfully. Never lost power although some of my neighbors did. Hopefully no issues for you guys either.

For today... just a slim rain chance as we await the cold frontal passage but by and large go for it as far as your outdoor plans are concerned. We will see the sun later this morning and esp. by this afternoon. Much cooler today in the 70s with a nice breeze developing as well. Should be a nice day for my rib cook on the smoker! :)

For tomorrow, another system moves in with the best chance for rain coming Tues night. Temps stay in the 70s for the most part this week. Low 70s for Wed and Thurs. For you guys in the I-70 area, you may even stay in the 60s on Wed. Lows in the 50s with even the upper 40s possible for Cincinnati. Definitely a few nights in the 40s for the I-70 folks. We moderate by the upcoming weekend with temps returning towards the 80s with t-storm chances also returning by then as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les and I once again rather lucky locally in terms of severe weather. Did receive a nice dose of rain here and 1.21 and this shows how just an extra hour of heavy rain can do for different locations. This week looks wonderful for the most part as we finish out the month of May.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning Tim! I am loving the cooler temps coming up as well. I see a couple more cool shots in the works for the first half of June too!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It sure has turned out to be a beautiful day for smoking these ribs! The breeze sure feels good! The humidity isn't quite as bad either. :). I hope everyone enjoys their day today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_1781.png
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Gtchris10
Rain Shower

Post by Gtchris10 »

Received .25" from last night's action, for a total of .30" between both waves. Kind of a let down with the dry week ahead. We have got about a half inch of rain since the tornado outbreak a few weeks back. It's sort of comical how these systems look complete, and just split once they get close to here and then reform just east.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney's above map clearly shows the Tri-state "shaft zone" if you will in terms of rainfall. We are okay though since the temps will remain on the cooler side the next few weeks. We still should get some decent cold fronts in here too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:34 am Bgoney's above map clearly shows the Tri-state "shaft zone" if you will in terms of rainfall. We are okay though since the temps will remain on the cooler side the next few weeks. We still should get some decent cold fronts in here too.
No doubt locally most folks under 1 inch. I was lucky this time with over 1 inch but that was because of a heavy band that sat over my area longer. Over the past few weeks though I was getting the short end of the rainfall. Though this was not a summertime rain where storms are more isolated it was wild how models threw out the numbers and again I believe when you have these dynamic systems they try to even out the rainfall over a larger area though in reality some folks are going to be much higher and others much lower. Models still have problems with these kind of systems and just end up throwing out an average.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The models have been overdoing qpf big time for weeks now. It's pretty sad. A week ago the gfs and Euro had 3-4" for us. That occurred but it was over central and SKY. Truly laughable at the awful modeling in terms of rainfall amounts. I went much lower than the guidance and it still wasn't low enough in some cases.

Anyway just sauced the ribs and letting the sauce set now. Should be ready to pull from the smoker in 20-30 minutes. Then it'll be time to let em rest. Mom's homemade potato salad and baked beans for sides. Great way to kick off the summer season!!! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I want my baby back baby back baby back BBQ sauce!

56913.jpeg
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

:waveusa: :waveusa: :waveusa: :waveusa:

At 4 PM ET a Memorial Day concert featuring Lee Greenwood will air on Newsmax.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:28 pm I want my baby back baby back baby back BBQ sauce!

56913.jpeg
Looks wonderful Bro!! :) :usa:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:41 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:28 pm I want my baby back baby back baby back BBQ sauce!

56913.jpeg
Thank you Bro! Getting ready to eat here shortly. The Libs that run Altafiber aka Cincinnati Bell took away Newsmax in May of 2023. So unfortunately, I no longer get that channel. :screaming:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / CMH reached 78 and DAY 75 on Memorial Day. :waveusa:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue May 28, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:22 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:41 pm

56913.jpeg
Thank you Bro! Getting ready to eat here shortly. The Libs that run Altafiber aka Cincinnati Bell took away Newsmax in May of 2023. So unfortunately, I no longer get that channel. :screaming:
Talk about censorship, Altafiber claims it was over a license fee, yea right! **SMH**

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lq-FV-B91n
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue May 28, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! I hope everyone had a great 3 day Holiday Weekend! Back to talking weather now and we have a slight chance at a shower or t-0storm tonight into Wed. Best chance looks to be NE of Cincinnati. Thurs and Fri will be dry for all locations. Highs in the mid 70s today with a nice breeze this afternoon near 70 or so on Wed, low 70s Thurs, then back into the mid 70s again by Fri. Lows will mainly be in the 50s thru the period accept Wed and Thurs nights where the upper 40s will occur. That'll wrap up the month of May. See the new June thread for our discussion there.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and just 4 days until met summer. May has been a decent month except for the severe weather. Above normal with temps and precip. Like Les mentioned the first part of June will continue the active weather but how long does it last and will we turn hot later in the month. Talk more about that in the June Thread. Wednesday morning could see a shower or thundershower as another front moves in which gives us more cool air to work with and you can tell its a nice shot as parts of Minnesota could see some frost and where my son lives maybe some scattered frost Wednesday morning. Thursday and Friday will round out the month with almost the perfect weather
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:52 am Good Morning and just 4 days until met summer. May has been a decent month except for the severe weather. Above normal with temps and precip. Like Les mentioned the first part of June will continue the active weather but how long does it last and will we turn hot later in the month. Talk more about that in the June Thread. Wednesday morning could see a shower or thundershower as another front moves in which gives us more cool air to work with and you can tell its a nice shot as parts of Minnesota could see some frost and where my son lives maybe some scattered frost Wednesday morning. Thursday and Friday will round out the month with almost the perfect weather
Good morning Tim! Although not unheard of, the higher peaks of the Rockies continues to see snow also. Great news as it'll help out the Western US with regards to a good water source for the upcoming summer ahead.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thru 5/27, CVG is around 5 degrees above avg for the month. 1.46" above normal for rainfall. I know local stats will vary most definitely. As mentioned, let's see how long we can keep it going! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page