August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

Sort of a blah day outside and again a chance of a scattered shower or even thundershower this afternoon as we still have plenty of moisture to work with. Further south the better chance. For the month of August we are exactly dead even on temps and about 1 inch sort with rainfall. For the year about 1 1/2 degrees above normal on temps and just about dead even on precip. Very average year so far though we had a mild winter and then cool spring followed by an average summer. The 112 heat index yesterday was high and not sure what the record is at CVG but that had to be in the top 10 or so.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It is rare too get a dew at or above 80. We broke the record at CVG for the highest dew a few years ago and I believe it was 83 or 84. I can't remember which. Definitely agree yesterday's humidity was a top ten for us.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Very slow process over the next 24 hours to get the dew points down. Still low 70's in parts of Northern Indiana and Illinois. By Monday we should be seeing a nice brand of air for several days and then lets see what happens at the end of the week. Still have some heat from the central part of the USA trying to move east while and most likely some form of a tropical system to the southeast. Many times sandwich in between is a nice area and lets hope this happens.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We could see upper 80s perhaps 90 by Labor Day weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary for early September.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Looking towards fall and we are really starting to see this in Alaska and also northern 1/3 of Canada. More systems moving in with rainfall and of course the temps falling rather quickly over the next month. Usually by mid-late September snows will also start to fall. Love to see this and gets me excited about the upcoming fall season
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

A few showers as expected this afternoon. With the moisture around it seemed likely a few would pop up. Overnight we start to see the changes happening but it may take until mid-morning to finally get all the showers out of the area. Then a nice stretch of weather as expected. Biggest story will be if the tropical system forms in the eastern GOM and heads north/northeast.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:47 pm Looking towards fall and we are really starting to see this in Alaska and also northern 1/3 of Canada. More systems moving in with rainfall and of course the temps falling rather quickly over the next month. Usually by mid-late September snows will also start to fall. Love to see this and gets me excited about the upcoming fall season
I've been seeing some chillier air building up in those places as well. Love seeing that 540 line around Hudson's Bay in the extended range. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:46 pm A few showers as expected this afternoon. With the moisture around it seemed likely a few would pop up. Overnight we start to see the changes happening but it may take until mid-morning to finally get all the showers out of the area. Then a nice stretch of weather as expected. Biggest story will be if the tropical system forms in the eastern GOM and heads north/northeast.
TD 10 is in the Gulf and could become a decent hurricane for the FL Panhandle next week. Just a few isolated showers / t-showers on radar from basically the river on south. Most folks won't see anything this evening but a couple of locals should get a ground wetter. Nothing major. I cannot wait until these 70 degree dews take a vacation for a while. It is still horrible outside right now with a dew still at 71 per CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

86 today at CVG, 87 here. My temp forecast that I posted on the previous page looks good. I also still like the upper 80s by Labor Day weekend if not 90. I don't see much, if any rain in the forecast for a while unless that tropical system comes our way, which I still don't think that it will. A 7-10 day dry spell is easily in the cards the way things are looking to me. The good news is that we don't have that nasty heat and humidity like what we just went thru so I do have some good news there.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 87, DAY 84 and CMH 82 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! A much better feeling morning out there with dews down into the low and mid 60s. Dews will continue to slowly drop into the 50s and you'll notice that tonight / tomorrow. I still am going with a dry forecast for the foreseeable future. Temp forecast remains unchanged with above avg readings due back in here by Fri / Labor Day weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and mowed the grass this morning. High in spots but not hard to mow but still a little humidity out there but a nice cool breeze. So no doubt models were a little to cool on this shot of air as temps north of us have been about 5-10 warmer than expected for overnight lows. No doubt it will be much nicer this week with dew points most likely ending up in the upper 50's or so. Temps during the day a few degrees either side of 80 and lows a few degrees either side of 60. This is slightly below normal but not by much.Does look like a return of above normal temps by Friday or Saturday as this first push was not quite the push we needed to get it very far to the south. Can we hit 90 and no doubt but not expecting those 80 degree dew points which is rare to begin with. The tropics in the western Atlantic are busy this week but once we get through the next 10 days it may become rather calm again. If that happens then a cool down is possible by the 10th or so of September. If the tropics remain active then it could take another week or so before some cooler air arrives.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The NWS has us reaching a high of 83 today. The clouds are hanging in tough at the moment and if this continues we won't reach 80. Very similar situation that we have several times in the winter when the NWS predicts a high of 42 but we end up around 35 or 36 because of cloud cover. Seems like after all these years with this happening quite often the models would pick up on this but I have not seen that happen. We are in a valley and moisture gets trapped which in this case is clouds. This usually happens after a weak to maybe moderate cold front comes through and is unable to push the clouds away. When you get the stronger cold fronts then the clearing happens more often but of course a stronger cold front will usually keep temps cooler but the models do okay with that situation.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:25 am Good Morning and mowed the grass this morning. High in spots but not hard to mow but still a little humidity out there but a nice cool breeze. So no doubt models were a little to cool on this shot of air as temps north of us have been about 5-10 warmer than expected for overnight lows. No doubt it will be much nicer this week with dew points most likely ending up in the upper 50's or so. Temps during the day a few degrees either side of 80 and lows a few degrees either side of 60. This is slightly below normal but not by much.Does look like a return of above normal temps by Friday or Saturday as this first push was not quite the push we needed to get it very far to the south. Can we hit 90 and no doubt but not expecting those 80 degree dew points which is rare to begin with. The tropics in the western Atlantic are busy this week but once we get through the next 10 days it may become rather calm again. If that happens then a cool down is possible by the 10th or so of September. If the tropics remain active then it could take another week or so before some cooler air arrives.
Excellent post Tim! We look to be dry for the most part as well for the next week or two. Hope to see that outlook change down the road as well but it's tough now that Sept is lurking as we don't usually see a lot of moisture this time of year unless the tropics can help. So far, that does not look to be the case. I mowed also just got done. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The low 80s shouldn't be a problem now. Mostly sunny imby as drier air is finally winning the battle.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

79 here, CVG checking in with 83 as of the 1pm reading. A jet must have taken off. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:32 pm 79 here, CVG checking in with 83 as of the 1pm reading. A jet must have taken off. :lol:
I was shocked Les. Dayton,Louisville,Lexington and Indy in the mid 70's last hour.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

85 as of 2pm and the dew went back up to 68. Much warmer than I thought it would get today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Cvg has dropped to 77 as of 3pm. The sensor is definitely broken today. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Back up to 84 as of 4pm. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 82, DAY 79 and CMH 81 for today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:49 pm CVG reached 85, DAY 78 and CMH 80 for today.
I still question the temps at CVG today. I'll check my weather station when I get home and see what my high was today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:05 pm Cvg has dropped to 77 as of 3pm. The sensor is definitely broken today. :lol:
That temp around noon or 1pm made no sense. Not sure what is going on with the sensor.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:38 pm
tron777 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:05 pm Cvg has dropped to 77 as of 3pm. The sensor is definitely broken today. :lol:
That temp around noon or 1pm made no sense. Not sure what is going on with the sensor.
There was definitely a problem. Climate report for 8/27 now shows the high and low as missing. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

61 in my hood right now... looking like a nice week until the weekend when 90 degrees is set to return. Dews look to be in the mid 60s so not that nasty 70-80 degree dew we just went through.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page