January 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: January 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:33 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 am 12Z GEFS Precip Type for Jan 3-4th system:

GEFS P Type.png
Sign me up for a few of those slides! :)
Definitely Joe! An inch or two on some of those slides for sure which beats anything we've seen yet thus far. :lol: This one has a ways to go yet before we know exactly how much phasing, if any, we will see. We should continue to favor the S Apps for the best action, but I am keeping my one eye open for us locally all the same. We'll see what the Euro does here shortly as it has lead the way, possibility wise.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_1139.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Here is a new DT This Week in Weather that he posted last night around 11pm.

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

So far the EU has the cold enough air more south into Kentucky. More improvement
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:32 pm So far the EU has the cold enough air more south into Kentucky. More improvement
The southern shortwave is suppressed though so it's cold and dry on this run. It tried on the 6th-7th but a swing and a miss.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Microburst
Rain Shower

Post by Microburst »

I'm back! I will be posting more soon! :)

I'm hoping we get a snowstorm in January.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Microburst wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:57 pm I'm back! I will be posting more soon! :)

I'm hoping we get a snowstorm in January.
Sure hope to see more out of you Daniel! Perhaps, you are the good luck charm that we need! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Things are starting to look quite a bit busier in the medium and longer term periods. Not everyone of these threats are going to yield snow in our backyards. So please keep that in mind as I list the potential items that IMO we need to be watching.

Jan 3-4th - I mentioned this one more in depth yesterday. This thread has faded a little on the guidance but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel or declare this one dead just yet. I'd like to give it another day or two then go from there. We are still watching for any potential phasing and / or how far north the southern wave comes to bring moisture our way.

Jan 6-7th - This is another S slider that could bring in some light snow to the area on the northern fringe of the rain shield. GFS, GEFS, and CMC bring in some light snow to the area where the Euro is a bit more suppressed with the rain shield.

Jan 10-11th - This is the big bomb cyclone that Trev and I have discussed that brings about a full on pattern change and dumps a big chunk of arctic air into the region for future systems to work with. Depending on the track and timing, this could be a t-storm event, a rain to snow event or just a rain maker only in general. This looks to be a strong system so windy conditions will also need to be factored into the forecast.

Jan 12-13th - The GFS has been showing a follow up system tracking along the arctic front once it's to our East. Depending on where the boundary is and how strong the low gets, a snow storm is possible with this system.

Busy enough for you? :lol: Folks... the pattern is already changing to a more active one. That is step #1. We have seasonably cold air in place so these first couple of events are marginal. If we get the big cutter, or bomb cyclone as Trev is calling it, then we will have arctic air to work with to go along with the active pattern and that is what has been missing as you all know. The cold air.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les and left yesterday afternoon and ran into some snow near Indy but nothing was sticking as temps were well above 32. Love your posts this morning and no doubt we will be busy and my guess a few surprises in store as these southern systems can be very tricky especially if there is any energy to the north. Getting arctic air in the lower 48 is key into getting stronger systems and by mid-month or so that looks very possible. Will post more later today as I am back in the weather office lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:22 am Good Morning Les and left yesterday afternoon and ran into some snow near Indy but nothing was sticking as temps were well above 32. Love your posts this morning and no doubt we will be busy and my guess a few surprises in store as these southern systems can be very tricky especially if there is any energy to the north. Getting arctic air in the lower 48 is key into getting stronger systems and by mid-month or so that looks very possible. Will post more later today as I am back in the weather office lol
Good morning Tim! Welcome Home and glad you made it back safely! I am going to grab another cup of coffee then check the Ensemble members a little more closely to see if we can gain any trends on the first two threats.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

For the 3rd-4th... The trends on the GEFS are for more spacing in between the two jets and thus, no interaction. You can easily see that in the below animation. Last 4 GEFS runs:

GEFS Trends.gif

For the 6th-7th, let's do the same thing and see what we get. It's kind of on again / off again and a little tougher to tell, but I do think the trend for us to get clipped by the STJ wave is there.

GEFS Trends 2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Some January (CVG) snow stats. One goes from 1975-1999, another 2000 to present and the last combines all those years back to 1975(top 25). (Dates at bottom of graph) That stretch from 1976-1982 is once in a lifetime

IMG_1140.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and before getting onto the extended we need to watch these little pieces of energy around the lakes. The lakes are not frozen by any means though up in Wausau where it has been so warm thin ice is on many of the lakes despite the warm temps.

New Years Day looks to bring a winter look locally as a little piece of energy interacts with the winds off the lake to produce some snow showers. Good thing is the surface temps are still warm but if you get a quick snow shower that is heavy enough it can whiten the ground.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:07 am Good morning all! Things are starting to look quite a bit busier in the medium and longer term periods. Not everyone of these threats are going to yield snow in our backyards. So please keep that in mind as I list the potential items that IMO we need to be watching.

Jan 3-4th - I mentioned this one more in depth yesterday. This thread has faded a little on the guidance but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel or declare this one dead just yet. I'd like to give it another day or two then go from there. We are still watching for any potential phasing and / or how far north the southern wave comes to bring moisture our way.

Jan 6-7th - This is another S slider that could bring in some light snow to the area on the northern fringe of the rain shield. GFS, GEFS, and CMC bring in some light snow to the area where the Euro is a bit more suppressed with the rain shield.

Jan 10-11th - This is the big bomb cyclone that Trev and I have discussed that brings about a full on pattern change and dumps a big chunk of arctic air into the region for future systems to work with. Depending on the track and timing, this could be a t-storm event, a rain to snow event or just a rain maker only in general. This looks to be a strong system so windy conditions will also need to be factored into the forecast.

Jan 12-13th - The GFS has been showing a follow up system tracking along the arctic front once it's to our East. Depending on where the boundary is and how strong the low gets, a snow storm is possible with this system.

Busy enough for you? :lol: Folks... the pattern is already changing to a more active one. That is step #1. We have seasonably cold air in place so these first couple of events are marginal. If we get the big cutter, or bomb cyclone as Trev is calling it, then we will have arctic air to work with to go along with the active pattern and that is what has been missing as you all know. The cold air.
I think 3/4th is a swing and a miss. 6/7th has peaked my interest, though. More of a realistic chance with that one.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:59 am I think 3/4th is a swing and a miss. 6/7th has peaked my interest, though. More of a realistic chance with that one.
So far Trev, the guidance has trended that way. Hope to see the 6-7th pan out since we have a bit more cold air to work with versus the 3rd-4th.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:05 am
Trevor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:59 am I think 3/4th is a swing and a miss. 6/7th has peaked my interest, though. More of a realistic chance with that one.
So far Trev, the guidance has trended that way. Hope to see the 6-7th pan out since we have a bit more cold air to work with versus the 3rd-4th.
What's nice is that we have multiple threats down the pipeline. Plenty to watch! I hope everyone is ready for heartbreak AND joy! Probably will have both :lol:
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:55 am
tron777 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:05 am
What's nice is that we have multiple threats down the pipeline. Plenty to watch! I hope everyone is ready for heartbreak AND joy! Probably will have both :lol:
That is typical for sure Trev in the OV. Recently, it's been more heart break versus joy but we'll see what 2024 brings here soon. 3/4th threat is dead on the OP GFS. We are almost to the 6th-7th though here in the next few mins.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It is definitely coming in stronger and more north at 156 hours. Hopefully not too strong. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Yep... just as I feared. A mixed precip deal on this run. This one is a thread the needle event as we've said before. LOL @ the Canadian. It's a sheared out pos on this run.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:29 am Yep... just as I feared. A mixed precip deal on this run. This one is a thread the needle event as we've said before. LOL @ the Canadian. It's a sheared out pos on this run.
The northern low remaining stronger versus dying out is the problem on this run. It all but vanished/absorbed into the southern low on the 6z run.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

The Canadian is now in range of the bomb cyclone. Man that thing may be a beast! It goes negative tilt as soon as it passes The Rockies and starts to bomb out.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

The low didn't bomb out on the GFS like it did on the last run. Still a strong storm but it doesn't hit bombogenesis criteria on the 12z run.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:50 am The low didn't bomb out on the GFS like it did on the last run. Still a strong storm but it doesn't hit bombogenesis criteria on the 12z run.
That system will have impacts not only on how much cold air comes down behind it, but the initial follow up wave for the 12-13th I talked about this morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and the upcoming pattern is one we see quite often in winter and we need a stronger system imo to make the complete change to a colder pattern. The STJ is going to be busy as expected with an El Nino. Over the next week to 10 days getting enough cold air with a bigger system is not easy as we don't have the cold yet in southern Canada or the northern part of the USA. Cold will be building though and the system around the 9th or so looks rather impressive this far away.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still a lot of mixed results on the GEFS for the 6-7th. From nothing, to a rain maker to a snow maker. Everything is still on the table this far out. GEFS Mean tracks the low foe the 10th bigger storm system from Brownsville, TX to Little Rock, AR, to Chicago.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page