White Christmas Blizzard 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: White Christmas Blizzard 2022

Post by Bgoney »

Screenshot_20221223-132935_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:28 pm Sitting at -4 and over the past 30 minutes more gusts than a couple of hours ago
Noticed the snow getting whipped up pretty good here too!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:31 pm Screenshot_20221223-132935_Chrome.jpg
Beautiful photo! Love the steam fog on the river when we drop below zero! :wub:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Latest reports I can find from the Big 3 are as of 7am.

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

EDIT: Even though some of the models were too high with QPF and amounts, they had the general placement correct of the heavier action over the Tri-state and esp along I-71.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

What are current thoughts on upcoming Clipper?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:35 pm What are current thoughts on upcoming Clipper?
Already got a thread going my friend!

https://absolutevorticity.com/viewtopic.php?t=207
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Still -4 here
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:34 pm Latest reports I can find from the Big 3 are as of 7am.

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

EDIT: Even though some of the models were too high with QPF and amounts, they had the general placement correct of the heavier action over the Tri-state and esp along I-71.
That's awesome . Was wondering what the other 2 came in at
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:46 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:34 pm Latest reports I can find from the Big 3 are as of 7am.

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

I think our forum forecast from everyone was great for this system! We didn't quite go for the weenie numbers but did go higher then the lower ones. I went with the coldest guidance and that worked temp wise.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Funny about this storm and at the end of the day and we are talking about how the models did with storm 7-10 days ahead until the day of the storm and we know the gfs was everywhere on the board and the Euro was okay with the path and stayed the course but CMC had a better handle at the end of the day. IMO that is the pattern change it saw better than the other two and I believe though not perfect had this system pegged a little better. No model is perfect as we know but this early winter season the CMC is doing a really good job.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:51 pm Funny about this storm and at the end of the day and we are talking about how the models did with storm 7-10 days ahead until the day of the storm and we know the gfs was everywhere on the board and the Euro was okay with the path and stayed the course but CMC had a better handle at the end of the day. IMO that is the pattern change it saw better than the other two and I believe though not perfect had this system pegged a little better. No model is perfect as we know but this early winter season the CMC is doing a really good job.
I agree... the Euro was too weak with it at the beginning and the GFS was way too amped.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:48 pm

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

I think our forum forecast from everyone was great for this system! We didn't quite go for the weenie numbers but did go higher then the lower ones. I went with the coldest guidance and that worked temp wise.
I agree everyone did a great job and always stick with your gut and never the models because they just become out of whack sometimes. I stayed with the 2-5 on Tuesday and was either going to sink or swim. It was such a big area of cold and I thought the snow totals would be similar in many areas from the plains to the Ohio Valley and sure some folks did a little better than predicted and some a little worse but again timing is never perfect with any storm.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:54 pm

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

I agree everyone did a great job and always stick with your gut and never the models because they just become out of whack sometimes. I stayed with the 2-5 on Tuesday and was either going to sink or swim. It was such a big area of cold and I thought the snow totals would be similar in many areas from the plains to the Ohio Valley and sure some folks did a little better than predicted and some a little worse but again timing is never perfect with any storm.
No doubt guys I'm pleased, plenty of 2-4s throughout AVland and the 2-5 was spot on.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

We didn't want the storm to blow up too quickly but in the end it blew up a little too late. Not complaining, just posting a reason why those heavier totals didn't happen.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:58 pm

CVG - 5.2"
DAY - 2.7"
CMH - 4.8"

We didn't want the storm to blow up too quickly but in the end it blew up a little too late. Not complaining, just posting a reason why those heavier totals didn't happen.
Les this was a wonderful storm and only if we could of had more moisture this would have been top 5 for me.
cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

Well I love having a large outdoor freezer for holiday goodies. Ice cream pie out on the picnic table.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cincy bud wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:11 pm Well I love having a large outdoor freezer for holiday goodies. Ice cream pie out on the picnic table.
Just worried about the beer and I love cold beer but not so much ice beer lol. If the electric would have went out at least you could of kept your food from spoiling
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:02 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:58 pm

Les this was a wonderful storm and only if we could of had more moisture this would have been top 5 for me.
I agree. The lack of snow was the only drawback. Everything else impressed the heck out of me!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cincy bud wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:11 pm Well I love having a large outdoor freezer for holiday goodies. Ice cream pie out on the picnic table.
Yeah! Good for keeping liquor cold too. Beer will freeze unfortunately. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

-3 now at CVG. Vis is better 2.5 miles. Winds still gusting to 29 though. WC of -24 a slight improvement lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mlgzz
Rain Shower

Post by Mlgzz »

I have to make a run to Indy airport to pick someone up whose flight to cvg got cancelled. Any word on possible closures on I-74 or I-70? I’m sure the road conditions are not great, but more concerned about getting stuck on the highway because part of it has been closed.
Thanks for any information!
Mike G.
Fairfield Twp :02cents:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mlgzz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:40 pm I have to make a run to Indy airport to pick someone up whose flight to cvg got cancelled. Any word on possible closures on I-74 or I-70? I’m sure the road conditions are not great, but more concerned about getting stuck on the highway because part of it has been closed.
I briefly went to INDOT's site and didn't see anything closed.

https://511in.org/weather-station/19/@- ... s,flooding
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Snow and Wind Reports from the boys - Not often I get to say my county was the "jackpot" with this system. :lol:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20221223
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:51 pm Snow and Wind Reports from the boys - Not often I get to say my county was the "jackpot" with this system. :lol:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20221223
Great call about the I-71 snow yesterday Les.
Mlgzz
Rain Shower

Post by Mlgzz »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:46 pm
Mlgzz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:40 pm I have to make a run to Indy airport to pick someone up whose flight to cvg got cancelled. Any word on possible closures on I-74 or I-70? I’m sure the road conditions are not great, but more concerned about getting stuck on the highway because part of it has been closed.
I briefly went to INDOT's site and didn't see anything closed.

https://511in.org/weather-
station/19/@-86.05652,39.96327,9?show=incidents,normalCameras,stationsAlert,weatherWarningsAreaEvents,plowCameras,flooding
Thanks Les!! Like I said, the conditions don’t bother me because I grew up in northern Ohio and drove in conditions like this all the time in the 70’s and 80’s (back when we had winters like this on a regular basis). 🤣 I just don’t want to have to sit on the interstate for 2 or 3 hours for an accident.
Mike G.
Fairfield Twp :02cents: