January 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Mjr
Rain Shower

Re: January 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by Mjr »

Good morning All
The wind sure is howling outside.
Currently 38 degrees with close to an inch of rain here.
(Will be spending the day straightening up the basement
And checking on both sub pumps)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mjr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:54 am Good morning All
The wind sure is howling outside.
Currently 38 degrees with close to an inch of rain here.
(Will be spending the day straightening up the basement
Good morning MJR! The wind is certainly picking up as the deepening low approaches.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

mikeyp
Heavy Rain

Post by mikeyp »

I have picked up 1.51” of rain now! I am concerned about trees falling from the soaking ground and strong wind. Especially Friday and Saturday!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

mikeyp wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:40 am I have picked up 1.51” of rain now! I am concerned about trees falling from the soaking ground and strong wind. Especially Friday and Saturday!
That is absolutely a concern Mike. Someone I work with has already lost power for a time today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MattD41
Rain Shower

Post by MattD41 »

Power down in Reading
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:44 am
mikeyp wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:40 am I have picked up 1.51” of rain now! I am concerned about trees falling from the soaking ground and strong wind. Especially Friday and Saturday!
That is absolutely a concern Mike. Someone I work with has already lost power for a time today.
I'm sure Duke and some internet providers will be on top of this as they have had ample warning on these two systems, although you just never know anymore! :roll:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:55 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:44 am
I'm sure Duke and some internet providers will be on top of this as they have had ample warning on these two systems, although you just never know anymore! :roll:
You sure don't. Power crews will have their work cut out for them over the next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Angelika
Heavy Rain

Post by Angelika »

Spectrum sent us an email last week saying they are aware of upcoming weather systems and that they will be diligent about monitoring issues.
Angela
--
On the border of Hamilton and Butler Counties in Fairfield Ohio
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

The 12z GFS is definitely no help for snow around AV land. Snow to the north, south, east, and west. We need to catch a break. The models haven't had any dramatic shifts whatsoever in this new pattern. :x :roll: :lol: :lol:
Doug

Huber Heights
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

Mjr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:54 am
Ooph sump pumps.

My parents in Columbus had two running nonstop due to the water table (we were close to the Scioto River) - and my husband and I had a flood due to a stuck sump years ago, so- I hear ya.
dce wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:15 am The 12z GFS is definitely no help for snow around AV land. Snow to the north, south, east, and west. We need to catch a break. The models haven't had any dramatic shifts whatsoever in this new pattern. :x :roll: :lol: :lol:
I'm telling you there is a dome over Cincinnati. :screaming:
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It's going to get bitterly cold too for most of next week to add insult. Hope everyone can keep their power on!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

dce wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:15 am The 12z GFS is definitely no help for snow around AV land. Snow to the north, south, east, and west. We need to catch a break. The models haven't had any dramatic shifts whatsoever in this new pattern. :x :roll: :lol: :lol:
I hear ya!

I'm dreading the bitter cold dry air next week if what the 12z GFS is showing? Ugh!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:19 pm
I hear ya!

I'm dreading the bitter cold dry air next week if what the 12z GFS is showing? Ugh!
Same here bro!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Folks... we should see highs in the teens and 20s next week with lows in the single digits. If we can get a snowpack down with the MLK (or before) system... then we will 100% be going below zero at night. Next week will be bitterly cold so make sure you have things in working order the best that you can now while you have a chance. I am honestly not hyping. Look at the data for yourself.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

wxpatriot1
Rain Shower

Post by wxpatriot1 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:54 am Happy Birthday Ron! Hope you have a wonderful day!!! :birthday: :balloons: :candle:
Thanks Eric and Les! Btw: I always wanted to tell you my long time nickname at work is Tron. I have had that nickname so long I don’t remember how I got it. 😎
Ron
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

wxpatriot1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:24 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:54 am Happy Birthday Ron! Hope you have a wonderful day!!! :birthday: :balloons: :candle:
Thanks Eric and Les! Btw: I always wanted to tell you my long time nickname at work is Tron. I have had that nickname so long I don’t remember how I got it. 😎
Awesome! :thumbsup: My Dad gave me the nic-name of Tron when I was growing up since I was so good at video games. I was the only one in my family to score a 300 at bowling on the old Atari 2600. I did it twice in fact! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:20 pm Folks... we should see highs in the teens and 20s next week with lows in the single digits. If we can get a snowpack down with the MLK (or before) system... then we will 100% be going below zero at night. Next week will be bitterly cold so make sure you have things in working order the best that you can now while you have a chance. I am honestly not hyping. Look at the data for yourself.
Yep, something we haven't seen too much over the years (except Christmas 2022) and it'll be brutal to our bodies (especially to us older folks LOL)

I'll be looking forward to the relaxation of the deep freeze and a ramped-up storm track again after the 20th!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:27 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:20 pm Folks... we should see highs in the teens and 20s next week with lows in the single digits. If we can get a snowpack down with the MLK (or before) system... then we will 100% be going below zero at night. Next week will be bitterly cold so make sure you have things in working order the best that you can now while you have a chance. I am honestly not hyping. Look at the data for yourself.
Yep, something we haven't seen too much over the years (except Christmas 2022) and it'll be brutal to our bodies (especially to us older folks LOL)

I'll be looking forward to the relaxation of the deep freeze and a ramped-up storm track again after the 20th!
Unlike last year when we only saw 2 or 3 days of bitter cold, all of next week will be bitter cold. This is not a one and done type of ordeal IMO. This is a very harsh winter weather pattern that is coming and it's something that we have not seen in quite a while. Some fun and interesting times ahead for sure Joe! It stinks I have to deal with it commuting to the office these days. but my love for cold weather and snow will never, ever die. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Weather Station at my house hit 29.04” today, so that’s 983mb. I saw a lot of posts where people’s wall barometers have bottomed out.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

fyrfyter wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:53 pm Weather Station at my house hit 29.04” today, so that’s 983mb. I saw a lot of posts where people’s wall barometers have bottomed out.
It'll really be interesting how low we go with the next storm. :o
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG / DAY reached 50 and CMH 49 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks... the main take away in our monthly January thread will be to see how much snow we can get on the ground. Then, that will tell us how cold we can get next week when the arctic hammer drops. We may get a clipper system at some point as well with another shot of arctic air. The cold tries to relax after the 20th so look for a storm system to develop as a result. Definitely some interesting times ahead!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Finally saw a -50 in Canada. So what you say and it means some of the coldest temps compared to average are on this side of the planet. You can see much of western and central Canada is really cold and we need this type of cold to make a major impact on the weather here.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:59 am Finally saw a -50 in Canada. So what you say and it means some of the coldest temps compared to average are on this side of the planet. You can see much of western and central Canada is really cold and we need this type of cold to make a major impact on the weather here.
The entire pattern over North America has done a complete 360 from what we saw in December.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Just a little off topic but my grass has not been this green and lush for awhile.