June 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: June 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Some light rain here since shortly after 1pm. Been home an hour and the temp inside the house is 66. I might have to turn the heat on to take the damp chill off the house and me. lol Looks like more rain might be coming through.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

No rain here though the winds have been rather strong all afternoon. The jet stream still rather far south for this time of year and that is why the front was able to clear the mountains and head off the coast. That is not common for mid-June though it does happen once in awhile. Mowed the grass this morning and it felt great. Should start to turn milder late week and then can we get another round of rainfall over the weekend. We are starting to get more action from the GOM so hopefully that will moisten things up but the chances for severe weather goes up as well.

Not sure how much I will be on here until next Wednesday or so as the big move is in place and starting Thursday the movers are there for 2 days then my wife and I will take care of everything and close up the place by next Monday or Tuesday. Of course it has been so cool down there this spring and temps expected to head towards normal which is mid-upper 80's but with so much rainfall this spring the humidity is downright horrible.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We had some rain this morning, windy, then some sun. Now it is raining again. Had a good day fishing. An 8 pounder, a 6 then some 3s and good eaters. I even caught a monster 15 lb sheepshead! I was hoping it was a trophy walleye lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:11 pm No rain here though the winds have been rather strong all afternoon. The jet stream still rather far south for this time of year and that is why the front was able to clear the mountains and head off the coast. That is not common for mid-June though it does happen once in awhile. Mowed the grass this morning and it felt great. Should start to turn milder late week and then can we get another round of rainfall over the weekend. We are starting to get more action from the GOM so hopefully that will moisten things up but the chances for severe weather goes up as well.

Not sure how much I will be on here until next Wednesday or so as the big move is in place and starting Thursday the movers are there for 2 days then my wife and I will take care of everything and close up the place by next Monday or Tuesday. Of course it has been so cool down there this spring and temps expected to head towards normal which is mid-upper 80's but with so much rainfall this spring the humidity is downright horrible.
Hi Tim,

The very best and safe travels to you, your wife and everyone as you help your son and family on their transition to Wisconsin. :)

I have some friends who are 2 former high school teachers of mine from Cincy days who reside in Appleton, WI. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:59 pm We had some rain this morning, windy, then some sun. Now it is raining again. Had a good day fishing. An 8 pounder, a 6 then some 3s and good eaters. I even caught a monster 15 lb sheepshead! I was hoping it was a trophy walleye lol
Sounds like a great haul, Les and given a potpourri of elements up that way! :smilefish: 8-)

Pic of a sheepshead. :) "Here's looking at you, kid!" ;) Those teeth look kind of like human ones. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

Good morning and safe travels to all.
.15 rain total for yesterday and overnight.
Go Reds
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

I'm not sure what rain gauge to believe. :) One has 2.5 inches in it, the other has 1.25 inches. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Mjr wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:42 am Good morning and safe travels to all.
.15 rain total for yesterday and overnight.
Go Reds
Great to see the Reds doing well of late! 8-)

The game on Mon night e.g. looked somewhat "shaky" for our guys vs the last place Royals but was glad to get it done in 10 innings! :thumbupleft:

This weekend series in Houston looks like a steamy one!
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY FLAG DAY!! :usa: :waveusa:

Currently 61 here in G'ville and progged for around 70 today. :sunny:
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

young pup wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:10 am I'm not sure what rain gauge to believe. :) One has 2.5 inches in it, the other has 1.25 inches. :)

Wright patt had 1.34” and Dayton International 1.18” . I’ve experimented with different rain gauges you can buy at hardware or garden stores and it’s shocking the difference’s in amounts you can get. I can’t believe these companies get away with the inaccuracies of the calibration. They really should be more strict
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

I just have one gauge and so far since Sun a combo 2.10" :)
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and cloudy but not to humid here in SC. Glad to see some folks get some nice rainfall amounts on Tuesday. Grass is so green down here. Not much change in the forecast and having severe weather in the deep south this time of year is rare. As the jet moves north during the spring and summer the threat of severe moves north as well. Keeps the heat from getting out of control which is good and still the only spot in the lower 48 that might have heat over the next week or so is the southern plains and southern Florida and that is due to the front in the southern states and that warmth build to the south. We see this locally in the summer when you have a front to the north but you get that surge of heat just south of the front. The west remains much below normal in temps and for us to be near normal at best is not the usual but the jet diving in the west and east coasts and both are rather big troughs. Should be home probably Tuesday as we shut down the camp here lol. Been a long 4 years especially when covid restrictions were strong and made it hard just to find a place to use the restroom between Kentucky and SC. I will try and check in but the big move is Thursday and Friday and then I will just get a uhaul for the remainder of my stuff down here. Never want to see a uhaul again lol.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:50 pm Good Afternoon and cloudy but not to humid here in SC. Glad to see some folks get some nice rainfall amounts on Tuesday. Grass is so green down here. Not much change in the forecast and having severe weather in the deep south this time of year is rare. As the jet moves north during the spring and summer the threat of severe moves north as well. Keeps the heat from getting out of control which is good and still the only spot in the lower 48 that might have heat over the next week or so is the southern plains and southern Florida and that is due to the front in the southern states and that warmth build to the south. We see this locally in the summer when you have a front to the north but you get that surge of heat just south of the front. The west remains much below normal in temps and for us to be near normal at best is not the usual but the jet diving in the west and east coasts and both are rather big troughs. Should be home probably Tuesday as we shut down the camp here lol. Been a long 4 years especially when covid restrictions were strong and made it hard just to find a place to use the restroom between Kentucky and SC. I will try and check in but the big move is Thursday and Friday and then I will just get a uhaul for the remainder of my stuff down here. Never want to see a uhaul again lol.
Hi Tim,

Are you and your wife moving to WI, too? :) Or will you still have a dual residence in KY? :)

Looks like our Reds will be in the TX sauna this weekend as highs are forecast in the upper 90s / low 100s!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Windy again today Only managed 3. Wind hopefully will be lighter tomorrow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:15 pm
young pup wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:10 am I'm not sure what rain gauge to believe. :) One has 2.5 inches in it, the other has 1.25 inches. :)

Wright patt had 1.34” and Dayton International 1.18” . I’ve experimented with different rain gauges you can buy at hardware or garden stores and it’s shocking the difference’s in amounts you can get. I can’t believe these companies get away with the inaccuracies of the calibration. They really should be more strict
I agree. Port Columbus had 1.36 up until midnight and then .39 after that. 1.75 total. I'm about 8 miles from there. I'm going to check with a client tomorrow to see what he got. He lives a little over a mile from me. I might just buy a third one and put it in a dfiferent location. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
527 PM EDT Wed Jun 14 2023

INZ050-058-059-066-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-051>056-060>065-070>074-
077>082-088-152130-
Wayne-Fayette IN-Union IN-Franklin IN-Hardin-Mercer-Auglaize-Darke-
Shelby-Logan-Union OH-Delaware-Miami-Champaign-Clark-Madison-
Franklin OH-Licking-Preble-Montgomery-Greene-Fayette OH-Pickaway-
Fairfield-Butler-Warren-Clinton-Ross-Hocking-Hamilton-Clermont-Brown-
Highland-Adams-Pike-Scioto-
527 PM EDT Wed Jun 14 2023

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for East Central Indiana,
Southeast Indiana, Central Ohio, South Central Ohio, Southwest Ohio
and West Central Ohio.

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

Isolated strong to severe storms will be possible Thursday. The best
chance for severe weather will be between 4pm and 11pm. Damaging wind
and large hail will be the primary threats.

SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation may be needed Thursday late afternoon into the
evening hours.

$$
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:00 pm
tpweather wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:50 pm Good Afternoon and cloudy but not to humid here in SC. Glad to see some folks get some nice rainfall amounts on Tuesday. Grass is so green down here. Not much change in the forecast and having severe weather in the deep south this time of year is rare. As the jet moves north during the spring and summer the threat of severe moves north as well. Keeps the heat from getting out of control which is good and still the only spot in the lower 48 that might have heat over the next week or so is the southern plains and southern Florida and that is due to the front in the southern states and that warmth build to the south. We see this locally in the summer when you have a front to the north but you get that surge of heat just south of the front. The west remains much below normal in temps and for us to be near normal at best is not the usual but the jet diving in the west and east coasts and both are rather big troughs. Should be home probably Tuesday as we shut down the camp here lol. Been a long 4 years especially when covid restrictions were strong and made it hard just to find a place to use the restroom between Kentucky and SC. I will try and check in but the big move is Thursday and Friday and then I will just get a uhaul for the remainder of my stuff down here. Never want to see a uhaul again lol.
Hi Tim,

Are you and your wife moving to WI, too? :) Or will you still have a dual residence in KY? :)

Looks like our Reds will be in the TX sauna this weekend as highs are forecast in the upper 90s / low 100s!
Hi Eric, hope you and the family are doing well. We will be down to just one home but of course we will visit them often. I believe Houston has a dome because it is so hot there in the summer. Only 1 1/2 game out of first place though taking on Dusty this weekend will not be a easy task so if somehow we win one game that is fine.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_0360.gif

The past few weeks the southern plains and southern states have seen plenty of large destructive hail and today is no different. 3-4”+ hail forecast for most of Texas and Oklahoma
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

A few tornadoes likely

Widespread large hail and scattered very large hail events to 5 inches in diameter expected :o

Widespread damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 90 mph likely
:o
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

A couple tornadoes possible

Scattered damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 80 mph likely :o

Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 5 inches in diameter likely
:o
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 83, DAY 82, and CMH 79 today.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:00 pm IMG_0360.gif

The past few weeks the southern plains and southern states have seen plenty of large destructive hail and today is no different. 3-4”+ hail forecast for most of Texas and Oklahoma
Yes they have as some decent heat is in the extreme southern plains and to have this type of weather in mid-June for them is unusual. Sure its happened in the past but their severe season is usually March-May. The El Nino has no doubt kept the south wetter than normal for this time of year so even with some heat in the southern plains going to be tough to get an extended period of heat though the models keep advertising this in the long term.