December 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: December 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:57 pm You guys had me at "a better ridge".
GFS and Euro are def improving today with that PNA ridge. Hope to see that trend hold for sure.
Les you talked about the pna spike a few days ago and over the last week I saw where it was heading towards neutral which I believe would help and even a little positive I thought was nice. I did not see the spike until you mentioned it and that is what you need with these bigger storms. The window of everything working out perfect is slim.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:08 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:57 pm You guys had me at "a better ridge".
GFS and Euro are def improving today with that PNA ridge. Hope to see that trend hold for sure.
Les you talked about the pna spike a few days ago and over the last week I saw where it was heading towards neutral which I believe would help and even a little positive I thought was nice. I did not see the spike until you mentioned it and that is what you need with these bigger storms. The window of everything working out perfect is slim.
Exactly. Great post! If that ridge isn't correct out West then the trough won't dig as much and we'll end up with a much weaker storm. That's just the way it is in this set up. If the ridge holds the way we're seeing it modeled today then a moderate event would be highly likely. Then, if everything works out right, a heavy event.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Going to look at the ensembles once they are out and see where they stand. We know the operational ones can throw us off sometimes and sure not every member will see the same outcome. The gfs was not a bad run as well and not going to discount it at this time. Matter of fact the gfs and euro may be closer to each other than they have been all week.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:43 pm Look at 500 MB Tim... The upper low closes off and slowly moves thru the OV on Friday with raging winds, very cold temps in the single digits and teens with snow falling as well! Wow!
All I can say is Wow!
Last edited by winterstormjoe on Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:43 pm Look at 500 MB Tim... The upper low closes off and slowly moves thru the OV on Friday with raging winds, very cold temps in the single digits and teens with snow falling as well! Wow!
There's an old Christmas movie in this scenario somewhere where everyone is trying to get to mom and dad's house for Christmas eve and a blizzard hits? Lol

I'm not going to even mention this to any of my friends, family or co-workers as they'll look at me like they always do when I mention that bread and milk will be disappearing from the grocery shelves. That I'm nuts! Ha ha!!

I am beginning to believe that we're in for a HUGE drastic change in the Thursday - Saturday time frame that will involve a flash freeze with rain changing to snow quickly with some snow accumulations and awful wind chills. :o
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:14 pm Going to look at the ensembles once they are out and see where they stand. We know the operational ones can throw us off sometimes and sure not every member will see the same outcome. The gfs was not a bad run as well and not going to discount it at this time. Matter of fact the gfs and euro may be closer to each other than they have been all week.
Here ya go Tim! 12Z EPS SLP plots. Map is valid for Thurs evening. As you can see, more cutter lows now showing up like the OP Euro and CMC solutions. I'll take that 989 MB Low over SE Ohio for $1000, Alex! :lol:

EPSSLP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:24 pm
There's an old Christmas movie in this scenario somewhere where everyone is trying to get to mom and dad's house for Christmas eve and a blizzard hits? Lol

I'm not going to even mention this to any of my friends, family or co-workers as they'll look at me like they always do when I mention that bread and milk will be disappearing from the grocery shelves. That I'm nuts! Ha ha!!

I am beginning to believe that we're in for a HUGE drastic change in the Thursday - Saturday time frame that will involve a flash freeze with rain changing to snow quickly with some snow accumulations and awful wind chills. :o
Hey Joe. I believe that is the most likely outcome and even with just a few inches of snow on top of ice is bad plus the winds will no doubt be a problem.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Thanks for the map Les. Much different than yesterday but still some off the east coast.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

What in the heck is the name of that movie, Joe? Ugh... I should know this! :lol: My Brother and his kids are supposed to be coming here sometime on the 23rd to spend Christmas Eve with us. His wife is a nurse and has to work on Christmas Eve this year. We'll have to wait and see how much travel impact we get from this. Just too early to know. I wouldn't change any plans yet of course, but I would be thinking of a Plan B just in case this thing does get strong. Even something like the 12z GFS would cause a lot of problems.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:30 pm Thanks for the map Les. Much different than yesterday but still some off the east coast.
Way different then even the 0Z run. The trends today are to have the trough much further to the West and much of that has to do with the better PNA Ridging for sure.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 pm
tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:30 pm Thanks for the map Les. Much different than yesterday but still some off the east coast.
Way different then even the 0Z run. The trends today are to have the trough much further to the West and much of that has to do with the better PNA Ridging for sure.
Les my guess is the pna spike was not in the model computation before today. That along with how the cold air is coming in phases instead of one big dump is another factor.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:41 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 pm
Les my guess is the pna spike was not in the model computation before today. That along with how the cold air is coming in phases instead of one big dump is another factor.
The PNA spike has been there on and off for the last couple of days. A posted the PNA forecast from the CPC the other day, We are finally seeing it show up on more models today which is great! The CPC's PNA forecast for today has it spiking at +1 STD which is about perfect in my opinion for our location.

PNA.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:34 pm

What in the heck is the name of that movie, Joe? Ugh... I should know this! :lol: My Brother and his kids are supposed to be coming here sometime on the 23rd to spend Christmas Eve with us. His wife is a nurse and has to work on Christmas Eve this year. We'll have to wait and see how much travel impact we get from this. Just too early to know. I wouldn't change any plans yet of course, but I would be thinking of a Plan B just in case this thing does get strong. Even something like the 12z GFS would cause a lot of problems.
Les, there's a bunch of them movies and I can even recall a Waltons episode. Lol

Now, may be the time to start the pre-Christmas winter storm thread? Lol
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:27 pm
tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:14 pm Going to look at the ensembles once they are out and see where they stand. We know the operational ones can throw us off sometimes and sure not every member will see the same outcome. The gfs was not a bad run as well and not going to discount it at this time. Matter of fact the gfs and euro may be closer to each other than they have been all week.
Here ya go Tim! 12Z EPS SLP plots. Map is valid for Thurs evening. As you can see, more cutter lows now showing up like the OP Euro and CMC solutions. I'll take that 989 MB Low over SE Ohio for $1000, Alex! :lol:

EPSSLP.png
If we can get that classic scenario when a low forms in the southeast or just of the coast and then retrogrades northwestward as it comes up the coast like we are seeing on some of the modeling, then wow! That would be classic. We usually do very well in the Ohio Valley when that kind of storm occurs. It doesn't happen very often, but if you look back in history when it does the Ohio Valley usually does well in terms of snowfall.
Doug

Huber Heights
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

You have the big block to the north. The modeling is currently suggesting the bulk of the Arctic plunge would be just to our south and west. The low coming up the coast would have no place to go but northwestward as it strengthens.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:53 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:34 pm

Les, there's a bunch of them movies and I can even recall a Waltons episode. Lol

Now, may be the time to start the pre-Christmas winter storm thread? Lol
Probably will start it up over the weekend, just to be safe. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:55 pm

EPSSLP.png
If we can get that classic scenario when a low forms in the southeast or just of the coast and then retrogrades northwestward as it comes up the coast like we are seeing on some of the modeling, then wow! That would be classic. We usually do very well in the Ohio Valley when that kind of storm occurs. It doesn't happen very often, but if you look back in history when it does the Ohio Valley usually does well in terms of snowfall.
You bring up a good and interesting point Doug. I looked back at some of our big storms and a common theme was the tall PNA ridge centered near the West Coast with a strong northern stream wave that dives all the way down into Texas. Surface low is typically induced near New Orleans / SE TX / LA area. The low slowly rises NE due to the blocking as the energy phases and the upper low deepens and closes off over KY. Surface low slowly moves up the Apps, dies over WV or SE KY or even SE OH area while slowly transferring its energy to an EC Low ala January 1996. Or no EC Low transfer ala March of 2008. Jan 1994 was a bit different. Had the +PNA but the PV phased into the system due to the strongly -AO so that's why we went down to -20s after that one! Same with Dec of 1989 - PV phasing in.

EDIT: I used this site for old model analysis.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:11 pm

EPSSLP.png
You bring up a good and interesting point Doug. I looked back at some of our big storms and a common theme was the tall PNA ridge centered near the West Coast with a strong northern stream wave that dives all the way down into Texas. Surface low is typically induced near New Orleans / SE TX / LA area. The low slowly rises NE due to the blocking as the energy phases and the upper low deepens and closes off over KY. Surface low slowly moves up the Apps, dies over WV or SE KY or even SE OH area while slowly transferring its energy to an EC Low ala January 1996. Or no EC Low transfer ala March of 2008. Jan 1994 was a bit different. Had the +PNA but the PV phased into the system due to the strongly -AO so that's why we went down to -20s after that one! Same with Dec of 1989 - PV phasing in.

Was thinking of the November 1950 Appalachian storm also. It took a northwest track as it was coming off the Atlantic.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:43 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:11 pm

EPSSLP.png

Was thinking of the November 1950 Appalachian storm also. It took a northwest track as it was coming off the Atlantic.
Gotcha... To pull that one off you not only need a monster low but a monster block over SE Canada and New England so it doesn't turn up the Coast or head out to sea. That's what happened in Nov 1950 that caused the NW Track. Anomalous blocking patterns are tough on the models sometimes, but every once and a while, they can produce big results. We'll see! We all know the players are on the field for a bigger storm. We just don't know if everything will line up right.

EDIT: Same deal with the Blizz of 1978 - Cleveland Superbomb!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Blizzard of 78 is my second favorite weather event. Just the change from heavy rain to sleet to snow and the temperature drop was amazing. This storm really never showed up until a few days before it hit and what a storm. Number one for me is the April 1974 tornado outbreak. Coming out of winter and that day was so hot for early April as you were just sweating like it was mid-July. Then early afternoon you would look up in the sky and funnel clouds everywhere. It was something I will never forget and I feel so sorry for the folks who lost their life that day.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hope everyone enjoys your evening and going to look at Christmas lights with my lovely wife. Weekend will be filled with tons of football and I am a big Browns fan on Saturday and of course watching the latest model runs to see if we can get a decent storm late next week.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:59 pm Hope everyone enjoys your evening and going to look at Christmas lights with my lovely wife. Weekend will be filled with tons of football and I am a big Browns fan on Saturday and of course watching the latest model runs to see if we can get a decent storm late next week.
Have a great evening, Tim! You both should check out the lights at the Boone Co. fairgrounds out my way.

https://www.lightupthefair.com/

Coney also has an awesome drive thru display (way bigger then the one by me even). :lol:

https://coneyislandpark.com/event/holiday-light-show/
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:03 pm
tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:59 pm Hope everyone enjoys your evening and going to look at Christmas lights with my lovely wife. Weekend will be filled with tons of football and I am a big Browns fan on Saturday and of course watching the latest model runs to see if we can get a decent storm late next week.
Have a great evening, Tim! You both should check out the lights at the Boone Co. fairgrounds out my way.

https://www.lightupthefair.com/

Coney also has an awesome drive thru display (way bigger then the one by me even). :lol:

https://coneyislandpark.com/event/holiday-light-show/
I love checking out Christmas display lights/decorations but doing it from a car looking out the window. Lol It's usually too cold and windy walking around the Zoo's Festival of lights or Winterfest, but you can warm up in the shops, though!
mainevilleweather
Thunder Storm

Post by mainevilleweather »

OMG 18z GFS inject in my veins
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

18z GFS with a closed ULL over MS .

gfs_z500_vort_us_27.png
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!