April 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: April 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and I missed the snow call and you guys did a great job. I was watching the news late last night and saw the snow falling and the radar looked great around 11pm so I knew my forecast was not good at all lol. I wonder what the shortest duration between accumulating snows are for CVG. If we get an early October snow then my guess we are in the ballpark. Spring will come next week in full force and severe weather is something we need follow.
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

Poor White Dogwood!

- Mark in Oakbrook (Burlington KY)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

This guy won't be denied

20210421_075057.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 am This guy won't be denied

20210421_075057.jpg
Love this post
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:45 am 2-3" for many folks across the region this morning. Looks like a winter wonderland out there this morning instead of spring! :lol: We broke two daily snowfall records. From 4/20, the old record was a trace and we got 0.4". The 1.5" record from 1901 for 4/21 was also broken with CVG picked up 2.3". Truly impressive indeed! Many spots across KY observed their latest snowfall on record. 1.8" at LOU is their heaviest late season snowfall on record per a tweet from BG.

CVG's seasonal snowfall now stands at 31.9! :)
Whew! Good thing the snowfall contest ended on March 31st! Lol!
Doug

Huber Heights
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

So ILN tweeted this map about 12pm yesterday. It has a 0 percent chance of 1 inch of snow for many areas that received well over an inch of snow. It has a 0 percent chance of 2 inches of snow for many areas that received well over 2 inches of snow. I know forecasting snow is tough. We all know that. But, wow, these maps are just horrible! You can not put a zero percent chance of that happening on a map. Obviously, there was not a zero percent chance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some great pics and posts this morning guys! Models did a great job with this system and I will give the GFS props for this one as the further south and colder solution, was absolutely correct. Agree with you Doug on that ILN graphic. Completely computer generated with no human analysis involved IMO. I mean the data clearly showed 1-3" for a good number people. Reduce it a bit since it's past mid April, and the forecast, still would have been better then what those graphics showed. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

My poor honey suckle is nearly flattened like a pancake! Perfect weather for polar bears, problem is there are no polar bears here about except for the zoo!! :polarfish:
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

I'm not happy with the quality of ILN forecasts. It's been this way for a while but I've noticed it more since trying to plan for our bike outings over the weekend. I'd like to think the weekend forecast is pretty solid by Friday afternoon, but it rarely is.
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

12z Hi-Res has action starting in the 2-3 pm timeframe so we watch and wait. Rain, snow, graupel, thunder all on the table.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pretty pics guys, thank you! :) It's cool looking when the wind gusts up and it looks like it is snowing when the snow falls off the leaves / branches and roofs of houses. :lol: :thumbsup: Love seeing the sun glistening off of the snow before it all melts.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:01 am 12z Hi-Res has action starting in the 2-3 pm timeframe so we watch and wait. Rain, snow, graupel, thunder all on the table.
12Z Sounding from ILN has a convective temp of 35 degrees and a high of 39. Shows snow as the main precip type. Meso page shows nice low level lapse rates to our NW. Snow squall parameter also increasing north of Cincinnati.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Where the sun is hitting the ground, all my snow is gone already! Still some in the shady areas though.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Same here. Green grass where the sun is hitting it, and where it is shaded, still 1-2" on the ground.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Can't remember if I ever had a snow day in April? :) Had a tree limb come down and take the power line down with it. Thank goodness I didn't loose power. Got it temporarily back up, and the electrician will be back on Friday to complete the work. Got a mess in the backyard to clean up. But the snow and ice is still falling from the tree. So that is going to have to wait. My guess is 2 to 4 inches of snow around here.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow JP! That stinks. :( Glad you did not loose power though. Always a plus! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My property picked up between 4 to 4.50" :)

Now ready for some long term Spring warmth! :thumbupleft:

Currently at the freezing mark and progged to top out at around 40 later.
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Great pics all! Bgoney, the lawn mowing one is awesome!
I’m sure I cleaned 3” off the car this morning. Gotta admit, was not expecting that much. It was beautiful while it lasted! The contrast of white snow and bright greens of spring were beautiful!
JP, sorry you had a limb drop but thankfully you still had power.
If it’s going to snow in April, glad it was record setting!!!
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Folks.... I looked more closely at our snowfall records. For 4/21, CVG got, 2.3" This is the heaviest snow we have ever received for so late in the season. On 4/30, 1908 1.5" fell. 2.3" beats that. Checking May, our biggest snow was 1.5" on 5/2/1908 We beat that too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

NH snow continues it record 20-21 season. This only goes to the 19th , much more to be added in the coming week from NA and Europe
fmi_swe_tracker-38.jpg
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm interested to see if this impacts the summer time weather pattern at all? Hard to say but I am interested in watching nonetheless. Thanks Bgoney… please continue these very informative posts!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 pm I'm interested to see if this impacts the summer time weather pattern at all? Hard to say but I am interested in watching nonetheless. Thanks Bgoney… please continue these very informative posts!
Will be fun to see how it pans out this summer Les. I still believe the late start to the snowfall season in Siberia is key to the extended and above average snow across the NH this season. Really makes a lot of sense as they got some of the heavier snows in November when its much colder and got heavier snow than normal so this in turn made it even colder than normal with no snow melt for months. This made the ice box of the northern hemisphere even colder. Never will hear this on the main media stations
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:17 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 pm I'm interested to see if this impacts the summer time weather pattern at all? Hard to say but I am interested in watching nonetheless. Thanks Bgoney… please continue these very informative posts!
Will be fun to see how it pans out this summer Les. I still believe the late start to the snowfall season in Siberia is key to the extended and above average snow across the NH this season. Really makes a lot of sense as they got some of the heavier snows in November when its much colder and got heavier snow than normal so this in turn made it even colder than normal with no snow melt for months. This made the ice box of the northern hemisphere even colder. Never will hear this on the main media stations
Not at all Tim and you might be on to something there for root causes. I'll agree. Check out the impressive snow totals from across the OV.

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20210421

Very impressive! Record breaking for the time of year and heaviest snowfall for so late in the season for many as well. I agree, global warming my ass! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page