17 Year Cicada Invasion 2021

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Re: 17 Year Cicada Invasion 2021

Post by sbpstudios »

markalot wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm I did not realize NKY might get a lot less. Hurray, if it's true.
Don't worry. You'll get yours in 2025 with Brood XIV.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks for chiming in, Roy! Hope you can post more Bro. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm My folks and myself moved back to Ohio in July 2013. I don't have any recollection at all even when we had our 2 Sugar Maples on our property of hearing or seeing any cicadas and none even near our property from neighbors' trees areas. But then again they emerge only every 17 years. The last time I was aware of cicadas activity was during my childhood in Cincy and / or in Hamilton. I don't even recall ever seeing or hearing any cicadas while living several years in NC.

So if one's property no longer has any trees, is that then a deterrent of probably not hearing or seeing any nearby? Except for possibly a neighboring property that has some trees?
I think you are too far north to see any Brood X cicadas this year. From the brood maps it looks like Brood X is scattered south of Dayton & is heavier in the far southwest Ohio area. The only record is from Charles Marlatt's maps from back in the nearly 1900's & they are not very accurate.
sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

tron777 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:59 am Thanks for chiming in, Roy! Hope you can post more Bro. :thumbsup:
Np. Im going through & seeing if there are any questions folks have.
sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:18 pm Man I remember that last invasion like it was yesterday. Hopefully this time around won't be as bad.
My work buddy's sister is having a wedding there in a few weeks. Were they everywhere in Miamisburg or just some pockets? The mapping up there is not the best. Any info would be great.

Thx,
Roy
sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

WxMom wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:20 pm That’s a good question Eric. I’m no cicada expert but my thought on that is that if there were trees there 17 years ago, there will still be cicadas emerging. I guess any eggs that were laid could have been displaced and destroyed if stumps were ground out. Like I said, not an expert just a curious nature lover. Lol
Yeah if the root system is dead underground then the nymphs would have perished due to no food source. I have seen cicadas emerge the year after a tree has been cut down so they may be able to survive off moisture in the ground for a short period.
dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

sbpstudios wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm
cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:18 pm Man I remember that last invasion like it was yesterday. Hopefully this time around won't be as bad.
My work buddy's sister is having a wedding there in a few weeks. Were they everywhere in Miamisburg or just some pockets? The mapping up there is not the best. Any info would be great.

Thx,
Roy
My wife says that in 2004 West Carrollton was a mess. The Cicadas where everywhere. We will see what happens this year.
Doug

Huber Heights
sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

WxMom wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:18 am Hey Les!! Thanks for opening a thread for the invasion!!! Already some great discussions. Thanks for that map, Bgoney! I'm just fascinated with the whole thing and really, 17 years ago, this year seemed so far away and yep, I'm excited it's here.
We have a big oak in our front yard and I remember it was quite a busy place back then. We live in an older neighborhood, our house is the newest built in 1976 so I recall it got pretty noisy around here. It will be fun too as my son doesn't really remember much about them so a new experience for him.
One note for folks to keep in mind is that especially newer trees can be vulnerable to the egg laying process. I remember seeing lots of natural pruning on trees after the cicadas laid their eggs and died off. The smaller branches, I think, are actually slit and the eggs are laid in the slits. So newer trees are particularly vulnerable.
Thanks again for starting the thread, Les. It's going to be fun to watch! :)
Covering small trees with cheesecloth with save them from the females laying their eggs in the twigs. Oak trees are especially vulnerable. Their twigs get very weak from the scars left from the female's ovipositor.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

sbpstudios wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm

Thx,
Roy
Well in 2004 I was living in Butler County and they were quite plentiful there. Can't speak to Miamisburg but I'm sure it was wicked here as well.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

Trevor wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 am First sighting here in Deer Park at the house. My brother took this as he was leaving for work.
I had about 6 or 7 emerge in my back yard last night here in Eastgate. We are in an unusual spot where the Brood XIV stragglers were so heavy in 2004 that we actually got enough chorusing here for mating & reproduction to take place. Our main emergence is in 2025 with Brood XIV. I275 from Route 32 south to 5 mile rd is literally a dividing line for Brood X. The right side of the highway will be screaming & left side of highway well....meh.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Thank you very much, Roy! :)

On one side of the coin it'd be a fun and interesting rite of nature to observe, personally, but on the other side of the coin the mess from their exoskeletons and corpses would be something that wouldn't be missed, Bro. :thumbup:
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

One of my bosses lives in Springdale and they are big time active there.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Great stuff here and fun to talk about this particular 17 year emergence. Thanks for the insights and knowledge shared! Quite active in my area now. Thursday I spotted my first 2 actually flying after seeing lots of shells in the areas I expected to have the highest numbers. Then yesterday I saw a lot of them in various stages of development. I reminded my son that the next time this brood emerges, he will be 37! He felt the way I did the last time they emerged and he was 3 and I thought, wow, the next time this happens, he will be 20!

I certainly expect to see more in the coming days. My neighbor is terrified of them and says she will be mowing her lawn in protective gear. If I was scared of them, I would too! And if it was a spider invasion, I would probably go in to lock down mode.

Fun discussions here. Les, thanks for starting this thread and Trevor, thanks for bringing up to the top! Won't be long before they start singing! :)
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still nothing here imby but I never expected any big numbers anyway. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Cicada, meet Yellowjacket. Yellowjacket, meet Cicada. I don’t think this date is going well 😬
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Great shot, Trev!

Poor Cicada, though.

They met via Mismatch.com :lol:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun May 23, 2021 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I hate yellow jackets! I was hoping the cicada would have won. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Finally saw quite a few cicada bodies on a big tree in my back yard so brood X is officially here now. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

My fence posts are loaded with cicada bodies...hundreds of them! Freaks my wife out! LOL
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Run,run,run the cicada's are attacking. Had at least 20 dive at my head when mowing. Though I will admit they taste good on the grill.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Saw a few more bodies yesterday along the fence next door. A good question for Roy... On avg, how long would you say that from the time you see the bodies to hearing them singing? Thanks! I first saw bodies 2 days ago on Sunday.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

You can hear them singing in indian hill
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No singing here yet, but did find more bodies today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

tron777 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:09 am Saw a few more bodies yesterday along the fence next door. A good question for Roy... On avg, how long would you say that from the time you see the bodies to hearing them singing? Thanks! I first saw bodies 2 days ago on Sunday.
I usually takes 3 or so days before singing begins. Warm & sunny is what they like too. You won't hear too much on Saturday by the looks of the forecast.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Heard a couple singing last night over by the riverfront. My fence is coated with the bodies.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH