Earthquake and Volcano activity

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Re: Earthquake and Volcano activity

Post by winterstormjoe »

New York city had a 2.8 a few days ago. There's actually a hidden fault there that can create a 7.0 every 400 years.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/46-m ... 3CFC5OWRM/

A 4.6 quake occurred in southern Alaska on Mon morning. Thankfully, no damage or injuries were immediately reported.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I found some LIVE footage right now on YouTube of an Icelandic volcano erupting. Link is time sensitive.

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:03 pm
Haven't heard much more about this quake, but i have read where the west coast of North America is overdue for a major earthquake especially southern CA and the subduction zone off the coast of WA and OR.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:55 am Haven't heard much more about this quake, but i have read where the west coast of North America is overdue for a major earthquake especially southern CA and the subduction zone off the coast of WA and OR.
The last big one I remember was the Northridge, CA quake back in 1994.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

An interesting term subduction; looked it up. :)

Subduction zones are where Earth's tectonic plates dive back into the mantle, at rates of a few to several centimeters per year. These are key features of Earth's plate tectonic regime. An oceanic trench shows where the plate disappears, and a dipping zone of earthquakes show where the subducting plate is. :)
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

MVWxObserver wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:23 pm An interesting term subduction; looked it up. :)

Subduction zones are where Earth's tectonic plates dive back into the mantle, at rates of a few to several centimeters per year. These are key features of Earth's plate tectonic regime. An oceanic trench shows where the plate disappears, and a dipping zone of earthquakes show where the subducting plate is. :)
Yeah, there are several subduction faults around the world...Off the coast of WA and OR, Japan and Indonesia that I can think of off hand. They can produce the most powerful (9.0) earthquakes in the world compared to the for example San Andreas fault (tectonic plates). There are other faults that are found within plates like the New Madrid fault that can produce 8+ quakes. The last time the Cascade subduction fault (WA, OR) ruptured was in 1700 and ruptures about every 3 hundred years. New Madrid fault 1811 & 1812 and about every 3 to 5 hundred years. We have a little ways to go on that fault but seismologists say that a 6.5 can hit that area about every 50 - 70 years and there hasn't been anything like that since 1895, so who knows if a 6.5 if overdue or not? A very mysterious fault to say the least.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Huge earthquake of 6.8 hit Morocco on Friday. Over 800 people dead and many injured. They get very few earthquakes and what I have read is that many of the buildings are older and unable to handle a strong earthquake.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Crucial location as we know , volcanic eruptions in this part of the world can have impacts on near term climate

A new update from the Icelandic Meteorological Office (IMO) at 18:30 UTC today has raised significant concerns about an imminent volcanic eruption near Grindavík on the Reykjanes Peninsula. The latest data, stemming from a crucial status meeting involving the IMO, the University of Iceland, and the Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management, points to a substantial risk of volcanic activity in the coming days.

IMG_0821.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/earthqu ... FKL3OFF6I/

A 3.0 quake occurred around 12:30 this morning between Wapakoneta and Sidney, OH.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Forgot to mention that the Reykjanes Peninsula volcano in Iceland began erupting this past Mon night (Iceland Time).
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:52 am Forgot to mention that the Reykjanes Peninsula volcano in Iceland began erupting this past Mon night (Iceland Time).
Yeah Eric, I heard about that earlier this week and really didn't get a chance to read about it. I wonder if it is spewing a lot of steam and ash in to the atmosphere? The pictures I saw was mainly the bright lava coming out of the ground.

On another note I saw that this past Saturday the 16th was the first in a series of big quakes that started on the New Madrid fault in 1811-1812.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:07 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:52 am Forgot to mention that the Reykjanes Peninsula volcano in Iceland began erupting this past Mon night (Iceland Time).
Yeah Eric, I heard about that earlier this week and really didn't get a chance to read about it. I wonder if it is spewing a lot of steam and ash in to the atmosphere? The pictures I saw was mainly the bright lava coming out of the ground.

On another note I saw that this past Saturday the 16th was the first in a series of big quakes that started on the New Madrid fault in 1811-1812.
Hey Joe! Please post a link if you can find some info on that. That really is interesting!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 am

Hey Joe! Please post a link if you can find some info on that. That really is interesting!
Sure thing, even better...I'll dig up one of these articles where some of these people living in that area at the time had diaries of these earthquake events back in 1811 and 1812. A very interesting read!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:51 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 am

Sure thing, even better...I'll dig up one of these articles where some of these people living in that area at the time had diaries of these earthquake events back in 1811 and 1812. A very interesting read!
Thank you Sir! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Here ya go, the February 7th 1812 looks to be the strongest of the series of big quakes...

https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Ma ... -1811-1812
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:00 am Here ya go, the February 7th 1812 looks to be the strongest of the series of big quakes...

Thanks Joe! That was a great read! Definitely there are a lot of possibilities as to why the quakes happened. It is certainly unknown as to when they will occur again.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Also found this...

Eyewitness accounts
John Bradbury, a fellow of the Linnean Society, was on the Mississippi on the night of December 15, 1811, and describes the tremors in great detail in his Travels in the Interior of America in the Years 1809, 1810 and 1811, published in 1817:[16]

After supper, we went to sleep as usual: about ten o'clock, and in the night I was awakened by the most tremendous noise, accompanied by an agitation of the boat so violent, that it appeared in danger of upsetting ... I could distinctly see the river as if agitated by a storm; and although the noise was inconceivably loud and terrific, I could distinctly hear the crash of falling trees, and the screaming of the wild fowl on the river, but found that the boat was still safe at her moorings. By the time we could get to our fire, which was on a large flag in the stern of the boat, the shock had ceased; but immediately the perpendicular banks, both above and below us, began to fall into the river in such vast masses, as nearly to sink our boat by the swell they occasioned ... At day-light we had counted twenty-seven shocks.

Eliza Bryan[17] in New Madrid, Territory of Missouri, wrote the following eyewitness account in March 1812:

On the 16th of December, 1811, about two o'clock, a.m., we were visited by a violent shock of an earthquake, accompanied by a very awful noise resembling loud but distant thunder, but more hoarse and vibrating, which was followed in a few minutes by the complete saturation of the atmosphere, with sulphurious vapor, causing total darkness. The screams of the affrighted inhabitants running to and fro, not knowing where to go, or what to do—the cries of the fowls and beasts of every species—the cracking of trees falling, and the roaring of the Mississippi— the current of which was retrograde for a few minutes, owing as is supposed, to an irruption in its bed— formed a scene truly horrible.

John Reynolds (1788–1865), the fourth governor of Illinois, among other political posts, mentions the earthquake in his biography My Own Times: Embracing Also the History of My Life (1855):[18]

On the night of the 16th November, 1811, an earthquake occurred, that produced great consternation amongst the people. The centre of the violence was in New Madrid, Missouri, but the whole valley of the Mississippi was violently agitated. Our family all were sleeping in a log cabin, and my father leaped out of bed crying aloud "the Indians are on the house" ... We laughed at the mistake of my father, but soon found out it was worse than the Indians. Not one in the family knew at the time that it was an earthquake. The next morning another shock made us acquainted with it, so we decided it was an earthquake. The cattle came running home bellowing with fear, and all animals were terribly alarmed on the occasion. Our house cracked and quivered, so we were fearful it would fall to the ground. In the American Bottom many chimneys were thrown down, and the church bell in Cahokia sounded by the agitation of the building. It is said the shock of an earthquake was felt in Kaskaskia in 1804, but I did not perceive it. The shocks continued for years in Illinois, and some have experienced it this year, 1855.

The Shaker diarist Samuel Swan McClelland described the effects of the earthquake on the Shaker settlement at West Union (Busro), Indiana, where the earthquakes contributed to the temporary abandonment of the westernmost Shaker community.[19]
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Way cool, Joe! Thanks again for posting! I'm glad to see that some of the old reports of these events survived.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:12 am
winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:00 am Here ya go, the February 7th 1812 looks to be the strongest of the series of big quakes...

Thanks Joe! That was a great read! Definitely there are a lot of possibilities as to why the quakes happened. It is certainly unknown as to when they will occur again.
Les, it's really a mysterious fault, and the last moderate quake was in October of 1895 in Charleston MO of 6.8. They have been predicting quakes of around 6.5 for every 50 years since 1895 but only lots of small quakes ever since, so New Madrid is way overdue for a 6.5? There's a history in Cincinnati from those big quakes also with chimneys being thrown to the ground and church bells ringing in DC.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:45 am

Les, it's really a mysterious fault, and the last moderate quake was in October of 1895 in Charleston MO of 6.8. They have been predicting quakes of around 6.5 for every 50 years since 1895 but only lots of small quakes ever since, so New Madrid is way overdue for a 6.5? There's a history in Cincinnati from those big quakes also with chimneys being thrown to the ground and church bells ringing in DC.
Oh, these series of big quakes of 7.5 - 8.0 are supposed to happen every 300-500 years and we're slightly over 200 years now, but it's the 6.5 quake that can happen down there at any time from what I read which rang church bells here.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

When I was a kid, I remember a small tremor occurred in our neighborhood. Have not felt anything sense. If I recall, my folks bought earthquake insurance as a precaution after that tremor.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:55 am

When I was a kid, I remember a small tremor occurred in our neighborhood. Have not felt anything sense. If I recall, my folks bought earthquake insurance as a precaution after that tremor.
The insurance co that I work for sells earthquake insurance and the New Madrid fault and the Wabash fault are their selling focus. I remember feeling a couple tremors in the 1980's and one in 2008 that happened in the early morning!