Earthquake and Volcano activity

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: Earthquake and Volcano activity

Post by MVWxObserver »

https://www.whio.com/news/nation-and-wo ... 6IOLMKKFQ/

There's been a series of quakes off of Japan's west coast with ensuing tsunami warnings.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

A 4.8 quake hits New Jersey, that's your small ancient faults (cracks) in the North America Continent caused by the weight of the glaciers and othe factors millions of years ago!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/earthquake-s ... ing-states
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:28 pm A 4.8 quake hits New Jersey, that's your small ancient faults (cracks) in the North America Continent caused by the weight of the glaciers and othe factors millions of years ago!

I also heard that New Jersey has had at least two aftershocks, a 2.0 and a 4.0.
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:28 pm A 4.8 quake hits New Jersey, that's your small ancient faults (cracks) in the North America Continent caused by the weight of the glaciers and othe factors millions of years ago!

I experienced this one first hand. I could feel and hear it for I would say about 15 seconds. I was inside at the time and at first thought it was probably a airliner passing over fairly low or something. the one last Friday was the strongest I have ever felt.
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 am

I experienced this one first hand. I could feel and hear it for I would say about 15 seconds. I was inside at the time and at first thought it was probably a airliner passing over fairly low or something. the one last Friday was the strongest I have ever felt.
Wow! Did you see anything moving / shaking? Since you were inside, did anything fall off of a wall like a picture or something?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It looks like a volcano in Indonesia called Ruang blew its top the other day. It was rated as a VEI of 5 which is pretty significant! We shall have to wait and see what its impacts could be to the global weather pattern in the months ahead.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indonesia- ... acuations/
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:29 am

Wow! Did you see anything moving / shaking? Since you were inside, did anything fall off of a wall like a picture or something?
No. it wasn't that strong or at least I did not notice stuff moving. i talked to sumone about an hour after it happened he said he was inside also and he could see some coat hangers moving in the one closet. the only thing that surprised me was how loud it was
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 am

No. it wasn't that strong or at least I did not notice stuff moving. i talked to sumone about an hour after it happened he said he was inside also and he could see some coat hangers moving in the one closet. the only thing that surprised me was how loud it was
I felt a tremor when I was a kid once. Us neighborhood kids were outside playing and we felt the ground shake briefly for a few seconds. That's been it for me as far as quakes go. I hope that is all I experience in my lifetime with regards to that. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:38 am

I felt a tremor when I was a kid once. Us neighborhood kids were outside playing and we felt the ground shake briefly for a few seconds. That's been it for me as far as quakes go. I hope that is all I experience in my lifetime with regards to that. :lol:
I remember during my middle or high school years having felt a tremor while living in Hamilton, OH. :lol: Also while living in Raleigh, NC felt one that had originated in VA.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 am

I remember during my middle or high school years having felt a tremor while living in Hamilton, OH. :lol: Also while living in Raleigh, NC felt one that had originated in VA.
I've felt 3 in my lifetime. The one near Maysville KY in 1980 that caused some damage there and knocked off some ornaments off the top of city hall in Cincinnati, two from the Wabash fault zone in 1987 and then in 2008. The one in 2008 caused some minor damage in Louisville and knocked over a few chimneys in parts of western IN and eastern IL from what I remember hearing on the news.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Joe,

The tremor I felt must have been the 1987 one then. The 1980 one, I was only 4 years old and wouldn't have remembered it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 am

I've felt 3 in my lifetime. The one near Maysville KY in 1980 that caused some damage there and knocked off some ornaments off the top of city hall in Cincinnati, two from the Wabash fault zone in 1987 and then in 2008. The one in 2008 caused some minor damage in Louisville and knocked over a few chimneys in parts of western IN and eastern IL from what I remember hearing on the news.
Yes it was the 1980 one that I remember, too, bro.