April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Just had a light shower but what Lisa posted is coming into the region for the rest of us from the NW here shortly.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

KYZ091>093-OHZ077-078-122215-
Boone KY-Kenton KY-Campbell KY-Hamilton OH-Clermont OH-
530 PM EDT Fri Apr 12 2024

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF KENTON...CAMPBELL...
NORTHERN BOONE...CENTRAL HAMILTON AND WEST CENTRAL CLERMONT COUNTIES
THROUGH 615 PM EDT...

At 530 PM EDT, a strong thunderstorm was located over Monfort
Heights, moving southeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 45 mph and half inch hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around
unsecured objects. Hail may cause minor damage to
vegetation.

Locations impacted include...
Cincinnati, Covington, Florence, Independence, Norwood, Erlanger,
Fort Thomas, Newport, North College Hill, Edgewood, Alexandria,
Elsmere, Cheviot, Fort Mitchell, Villa Hills, Highland Heights,
Taylor Mill, Mount Healthy, Bellevue, and Fort Wright.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Looks like the big hailer is missing me to the East. Anyone else??? One other cell to my NW is probably my last shot.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Rumbles of thunder and 5 minutes of moderate rain was it and that was too much
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

4 straight days of this gloomy weather is getting old !!
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Had a big t-storm move thru with gusty winds and pea sized hail that covered the ground for 15 mins. What a spring! This makes it about the 4th time I have seen hail this spring. I don't recall seeing so much so frequently.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Why can't we get a nice plume of LES moisture when it is cold? :lol: Radar shows that we will be staying wet until we lose the suns energy later this evening.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:00 pm Had a big t-storm move thru with gusty winds and pea sized hail that covered the ground for 15 mins. What a spring! This makes it about the 4th time I have seen hail this spring. I don't recall seeing so much so frequently.
Les a nice hail event and about pea size but covered the ground. Has been a busy spring. Not a huge place for hail and of course in the rockies you see the giant hail events where you see baseball or bigger hailstones.
Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

I’m sitting at 2.5..
Les, if you could be so obliging and throw the towel!!
No more rain :screaming:
Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Drove through the storm on the way to dinner with friends. Between Madeira and Montgomery, up to penny sized hail and torrential downpour. My rain guage is approaching 2.75 inches.
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Pete1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm 4 straight days of this gloomy weather is getting old !!
Amen bro!

Getting to be like the Seattle of the Midwest.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 57, DAY 59 and CMH 58 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

2242 4 SSE Maysville Mason KY 3860 8373 Video confirmation of a tornado along the AA Highway. A metal barn was damaged. Time estimated from radar. (ILN)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

42 currently at CVG, 39 here. Event total at CVG is 1.8" even though I know some of you did exceed the 2" mark. Next up for rain chances will be late tomorrow afternoon into very early Monday as a warm front passes thru. For Cincy the risk for a t-storm is small. Best chance looks to be towards West Central Ohio where the cap will be weakest. The cap is stronger over us.

Then our next event is going to be Tues afternoon thru Thursday with our next frontal system. Strong storms again will be possible depending on the timing. Highs today in the 60s, with 75 to 80 expected Sun thru Thurs cooling back into the 50s for highs by Friday. I am still watching for frost next weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:45 am 42 currently at CVG, 39 here. Event total at CVG is 1.8" even though I know some of you did exceed the 2" mark. Next up for rain chances will be late tomorrow afternoon into very early Monday as a warm front passes thru. For Cincy the risk for a t-storm is small. Best chance looks to be towards West Central Ohio where the cap will be weakest. The cap is stronger over us.

Then our next event is going to be Tues afternoon thru Thursday with our next frontal system. Strong storms again will be possible depending on the timing. Highs today in the 60s, with 75 to 80 expected Sun thru Thurs cooling back into the 50s for highs by Friday. I am still watching for frost next weekend.
Previous model runs looked a bit better for late Sunday but have definitely dried up. It was a marginal setup to begin with, but yes agreed precip odds look very small here in town. <20%.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:02 am
tron777 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:45 am 42 currently at CVG, 39 here. Event total at CVG is 1.8" even though I know some of you did exceed the 2" mark. Next up for rain chances will be late tomorrow afternoon into very early Monday as a warm front passes thru. For Cincy the risk for a t-storm is small. Best chance looks to be towards West Central Ohio where the cap will be weakest. The cap is stronger over us.

Previous model runs looked a bit better for late Sunday but have definitely dried up. It was a marginal setup to begin with, but yes agreed precip odds look very small here in town. <20%.
I'm glad too. I need the lawn to dry out a bit so it can be mowed lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:15 am
Trevor wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:02 am

I'm glad too. I need the lawn to dry out a bit so it can be mowed lol
Right!

Need to watch late Monday for possible warm frontal activity. Low confidence in that attm. Higher confidence for Wednesday.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and getting a nice break from the atmosphere which has been really ramped up across the eastern half of the USA the past few days. So much wind energy and moisture around so its time for the atmosphere to getting a little down time. Should have several nice days and though we can throw in chances for some rain here and there for the most part a nice round of weather coming up. Late next week another shot of colder air should be headed this way and this could lead to another period of some wild weather but how severe is still way to early. Hopefully after next weekends cold spell we can call it quits on the frost chances. Yesterday evenings hail was wild and 3-4 hours later still had a pile of ice hanging around.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:07 am Good Morning and getting a nice break from the atmosphere which has been really ramped up across the eastern half of the USA the past few days. So much wind energy and moisture around so its time for the atmosphere to getting a little down time. Should have several nice days and though we can throw in chances for some rain here and there for the most part a nice round of weather coming up. Late next week another shot of colder air should be headed this way and this could lead to another period of some wild weather but how severe is still way to early. Hopefully after next weekends cold spell we can call it quits on the frost chances. Yesterday evenings hail was wild and 3-4 hours later still had a pile of ice hanging around.
I noticed the same thing also Tim. Speaking of rain, ILN has an interesting graphic that they posted this morning. The image on the left is total March rainfall. The image on the right is rainfall over the past 14 days.

Rainfall from the Boys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Rainfall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Nice graphic Les and plenty of that upstream so I would expect river waters to remain high for sometime
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I agree Tim! The rain is going to make it great for my morel mushroom hunt tomorrow! Just got the 4 wheeler ready to rock! It's not good for local fishing on area rivers / lakes. They are muddied up pretty good I would imagine right now. Lots of debris too esp like the Ohio, Great and Little Miami Rivers etc.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Low to mid 60s currently across the region with wall to wall sunshine and light wind. A gorgeous day! Tomorrow isn't so bad until late but it will be breezy. Going with the middle 70s in most areas! Have a great weekend all!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

:offtopic: The Israel-Iran War has begun and prayers with our Israeli bros and sisters along with the IDF, our troops, and other allied forces.

Currently 63 here in G'ville.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Going to my Brother's here shortly to go morel mushroom hunting tomorrow out in Brown Co, Ohio. He found some in a secret spot close to his home the other day so I fried those up for a nice appetizer this evening for dinner. :) Will be back in KY after work on Monday then will have to mow. Play time over lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page