March 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

CVG did also as of 5pm! :o
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 70, DAY 65 and CMH 61 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Thank you for sharing those interesting April 3rd accounts, Tim, Ron, and Bgoney!

I was 11 yrs old during that event and my folks, sister, and I resided at the Cincinnati Children's Home on Madison Rd. in Oakley where Dad was the night manager and also taught at Sharonville Elementary school. My sister and I went to the former Eastwood Elementary on Duck Creek Rd. which bordered from behind the Home campus. The afternoon temp feel was as was described by Tim, Ron, and Bgoney and sometime shortly after my sister and I got home to our big apartment from school and Dad from work the tornado siren came on atop the Eastwood bldg. My folks and us kids went to the basement of our apartment, kitchen / dining hall, and administrative offices complex and kept company with a Home cook and one of the cottage(s) resident attendants. For supper that long evening into early night we had some cheese-filled pretzels (now better known as "Combos") from the Home kitchen. I remember doing some homework while sitting in my red Radio Flyer wagon by flashlight as we had a power outage for a short while. Dad had a transistor radio which at times was staticky as tornado updates at various locations were coming in. Areas like Bridgetown, Saylor Park, Mack, Xenia, and Brandenburg, KY e.g. etc.

I enjoyed Earth Science in high school and the weather section of course was especially interesting!

The Super Outbreak of 1974 and Blizzard of 1978 e.g. are a couple events that ignited my meteorological interest! I had my first NOAA wx radio during my middle school / high school years.

Hard to believe the Golden Anniversary of April 3rd, 1974 is almost here!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

...SUMMARY...

Isolated severe thunderstorms are possible across parts of the Ohio Valley this afternoon/evening. Hail is the primary risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently for Easter Mon / Mon night.

...SUMMARY...

A widespread severe threat is expected on Monday and Monday night from parts of the southern Plains northeastward into the mid
Mississippi Valley. All hazards, including large hail, wind damage and tornadoes, will be possible. The severe threat is expected to
impact parts of the Ohio Valley Monday night.

...Ohio Valley...
Mid-level flow is forecast to be westerly across the Ohio Valley
throughout much of the day on Monday. As moisture advection occurs
on Monday, surface dewpoints will gradually increase into the 60s F
across much of the region. In spite of this, instability is expected
to remain weak during the morning and afternoon. A few severe storms
may develop along and near the front, which is forecast to be
located from central Illinois east-southeastward into southern Ohio.
Large hail and damaging winds would be the primary threats. The
potential for severe storms should become more prevalent during the
evening, as an MCS approaches the region from the west. The stronger
storms within the MCS should be associated damaging gusts and
perhaps an isolated tornado threat, especially as the brunt of the
MCS moves through during the late evening and early overnight
period.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Looking like a nice day south of the river with AM rain north. That was my call for today and so far that looks to be working out nicely. :) Going with 72 IMBY today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Been busy this morning! Here's my latest posts from my page.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Wonderful post Trev!!! I agree about the hail threat 100p/c. The warm front on Sunday and this will set up an nice temp difference and Sunday morning a west to east line of showers and thundershowers that could last several hours. Hopefully by noon or so many folks locally will be south of the front and some nice warming trend.

Really a very busy period through Thursday and a really nice cold shot coming in and maybe some light snow showers especially north and east. Good thing is this system or systems are moving slow and this should set up a beautiful Fri-Mon with temps moderating and hopefully a sunny eclipse day. I will be in brown county Indiana for the weekend and looks like Mother Nature is trying her best for a great showing.
snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

Lots of lightning currently in my area with brief downpours.
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Nice graphics Trev! Rainfall amounts thru the entire period should be in that 1-2" range which the bulk of it coming thru Tues. Much lighter precip with both rain and snow showers possible Wed and Wed night. Will go with a dry Thursday for now, but could see a lingering snow shower early Thurs esp NE of Cincinnati. The trough will be slow to pull out with Wed and Thurs looking like brisk, raw days with wind, clouds, and occasional light precip. We will be mild from now thru Tues though. Going with the 40s for highs Wed and Thurs then rebounding after that.

We can discuss Easter here I will start the new April thread for early next week's talk.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

April Thread: viewtopic.php?t=304
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm Wow! That's an incredible account, Ron! Thanks for sharing it. I know there are a handful, maybe even up to a dozen people on here who have stories and / or memories of the tornado outbreak. I have never experienced what Trev did either back in April of 99. I did see a funnel cloud once pass by to my North and it did eventually touch down along Turfway Rd in Florence. Also seen massive straight line winds bend over our Drive thru Sign when I worked for Hardee's during the Nov of 92 event. A couple of golf ball sized hail events and that's probably been my bigger severe wx events that I have witnessed. :lol:
Good morning
My family lived in Xenia until the summer before the tornado. We lived across from Green County Golf Course
On Country Club Dr.
I just finished my 7th grade year at Central jr. High.
My oldest brother was in his senior year and stayed behind living with family friends.
When the tornado hit, I remember my mom frantically switching radio stations trying to find out any news about
My brothers whereabouts bc the phone lines were down. Later that evening we got news he was ok,
even though he was working his after school job at James Super Market in downtown which was leveled.
My brother told me as the tornado Was hitting town, the stores manager was basically throwing people in the basement for cover.. (I did go up the Xenia two weeks later. The devastation was horrendous. Something that has always stood out on that trip was Shawnee Park in downtown and Xenia Hs. The parks pond was empty and the hs was just a pile of bricks)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mjr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm Wow! That's an incredible account, Ron! Thanks for sharing it. I know there are a handful, maybe even up to a dozen people on here who have stories and / or memories of the tornado outbreak. I have never experienced what Trev did either back in April of 99. I did see a funnel cloud once pass by to my North and it did eventually touch down along Turfway Rd in Florence. Also seen massive straight line winds bend over our Drive thru Sign when I worked for Hardee's during the Nov of 92 event. A couple of golf ball sized hail events and that's probably been my bigger severe wx events that I have witnessed. :lol:
Good morning
My family lived in Xenia until the summer before the tornado. We lived across from Green County Golf Course
On Country Club Dr.
I just finished my 7th grade year at Central jr. High.
My oldest brother was in his senior year and stayed behind living with family friends.
When the tornado hit, I remember my mom frantically switching radio stations trying to find out any news about
My brothers whereabouts bc the phone lines were down. Later that evening we got news he was ok,
even though he was working his after school job at James Super Market in downtown which was leveled.
My brother told me as the tornado Was hitting town, the stores manager was basically throwing people in the basement for cover.. (I did go up the Xenia two weeks later. The devastation was horrendous. Something that has always stood out on that trip was Shawnee Park in downtown and Xenia Hs. The parks pond was empty and the hs was just a pile of bricks)
Good morning, Mjr! I wish I would have been around for this outbreak. Wow! We've had some decent outbreaks in the past, but nothing that comes close to this has occurred since in our local area. You guys have been sharing some pretty amazing accounts of the event.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

ILN's write up on the Super Outbreak:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/19740403?fb ... YXEyUBbTyu
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Great write up and I lived on the Kenton County/Campell County border and neither county got a warning. That is what I remembered and though plenty of action with funnel clouds none touched down near me and yes there were more funnel clouds to the west of me than east and those maps play that out well
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Here's the 2024 Easter Egg Hunt!

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently 70 here in G'ville, DAY 76 and CVG 74. :sunny:

78 at the GAB! 8-)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

60% chance of a watch issuance.

...SUMMARY...

Large hail (1 to 1.75 inches in diameter), isolated damaging gusts, and an isolated/brief tornado will be possible later this
afternoon/evening across eastern Ohio into northwest West Virginia.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

Scattered large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible

Isolated damaging wind gusts to 60 mph possible
dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

Great accounts by all from weather events from the past! Love reading of the accounts and stories from momentus outbreaks! As weather enthusiasts we all have fond memories of the past. Severe weather and winter weather.
Doug

Huber Heights
j.r.
Rain Shower

Post by j.r. »

One more April, 1974 story: My best friend was on the Findlay College cross country team and they were running in a meet at either Wilberforce University or Central State University near Xenia. They had to take cover in a basement at the university and when they emerged, there were campus buildings severely damaged. They went to their van, and all the windows had been blown out during the storm. They were so shook up, and wanting to leave, they drove all the way back to Findlay that evening with no windows. He told me later that when it hit, he was convinced they were all going to die.

This tornado was one of only two ever rated as F6 tornadoes, but was later downgraded to F5, as Dr. Fujita stated that F6 tornadoes were inconceivable. Like others, I hope nothing like this ever happens again, but with the increase in occurrences and intensity of severe weather, I'm afraid it is a matter of when and not if.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

2239 125 Buckeye Lake Licking OH 3994 8248 Report from mPING: Half Dollar (1.25 in.). (ILN)

0057 100 4 NNW Decker Knox IN 3857 8754 (IND)

0102 100 5 NE Decker Knox IN 3857 8744 (IND)

0135 UNK 3 WNW Ireland Dubois IN 3843 8704 Dubois county EM reported a tree down blocking the road at State Road 56 and 750 W. Time estimated from radar. (LMK)

0227 100 Poseyville Posey IN 3816 8779 (PAH)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.35" so far at CVG this morning as of 10am. 0.13" at the Boone Co mesonet site and 0.25" here IMBY.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page