Re: Monday April 8th Solar Eclipse

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

This is early, but I have to laugh- even the eclipse just barely goes to our north. This looks like most of the snow maps we've seen. ;)
Screenshot 2024-02-01 094224.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Re: February 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by winterstormjoe »

MJSun wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:44 am This is early, but I have to laugh- even the eclipse just barely goes to our north. This looks like most of the snow maps we've seen. ;)

It's still going to be 99.69% total in Cincinnati.
The best one we've seen here in quite some time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:37 am
MJSun wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:44 am This is early, but I have to laugh- even the eclipse just barely goes to our north. This looks like most of the snow maps we've seen. ;)

True, and it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but there really is! Nothing like being in 100% totality from what I have heard.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:10 am

True, and it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but there really is! Nothing like being in 100% totality from what I have heard.
We'll have to drive to Harrison OH where it will be 100% total. :lol:
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:25 am

We'll have to drive to Harrison OH where it will be 100% total. :lol:
I’d want to be as close to that center track line as possible.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Sawdoggie
Rain Shower

Post by Sawdoggie »

I saw the last one from the TN welcome center on I-65 which was just a few miles off of the centerline and it was worth every bit of the drive. I know people who are coming in from Europe to see the April eclipse if that says anything. Definitely, go west about 50 miles from Hamilton County and try to get near the centerline. Perfect spots would be either the OH or IN welcome centers on I-70 or any backroad around Columbus, IN. Rest areas have the perks of vending machines, toilets, and lots of people setting up projections of the eclipse, etc. Rural areas are overlooked as many who are afraid of township or county roads favor of cities and highways. There is actually a huge difference between 99.69% and 100% and the edge of totality isn't a clear, straight line as the terrain of the moon's surface causes variations. That all being said, clouds will ruin everything and climatology is not in our favor in this regard. Keep an eye on the weather to SW and head that way, if needed, the day before. Traffic will be intense after, especially on the Interstates. If the weather is good, traffic will be at a standstill for hundreds of miles in either direction from the path for hours. It took me almost 10 hours to get home from the last one traveling on all sorts of backroads heading generally NE across KY and it only took about 3.5 hours to get down there. Download the maps to your phone as cell service can suck in the rural areas, especially as the network will be overloaded. I-75, I-65, I-71, and the KY Parkway were gridlocked across the entire state (I've never seen anything like the Google traffic map that afternoon) and IN, western KY, and OH highways will likely be the same this time around (assuming no clouds). It just adds to the adventure!
Christian
Madeira by week, Ripley, OH by weekend
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHRIPLE5
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Sawdoggie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:27 am

I saw the last one from the TN welcome center on I-65 which was just a few miles off of the centerline and it was worth every bit of the drive. I know people who are coming in from Europe to see the April eclipse if that says anything. Definitely, go west about 50 miles from Hamilton County and try to get near the centerline. Perfect spots would be either the OH or IN welcome centers on I-70 or any backroad around Columbus, IN. Rest areas have the perks of vending machines, toilets, and lots of people setting up projections of the eclipse, etc. Rural areas are overlooked as many who are afraid of township or county roads favor of cities and highways. There is actually a huge difference between 99.69% and 100% and the edge of totality isn't a clear, straight line as the terrain of the moon's surface causes variations. That all being said, clouds will ruin everything and climatology is not in our favor in this regard. Keep an eye on the weather to SW and head that way, if needed, the day before. Traffic will be intense after, especially on the Interstates. If the weather is good, traffic will be at a standstill for hundreds of miles in either direction from the path for hours. It took me almost 10 hours to get home from the last one traveling on all sorts of backroads heading generally NE across KY and it only took about 3.5 hours to get down there. Download the maps to your phone as cell service can suck in the rural areas, especially as the network will be overloaded. I-75, I-65, I-71, and the KY Parkway were gridlocked across the entire state (I've never seen anything like the Google traffic map that afternoon) and IN, western KY, and OH highways will likely be the same this time around (assuming no clouds). It just adds to the adventure!
Great Post and one of best friends have a place in Brown County Indiana very near Columbus,In. She has a cabin and hopefully we will make the cut on the invite for that day lol
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Best time for Ham Radio. Both as a communication and contesting tool.

Solar eclipses are well known to do weird things in regards to radio, and the ability for signals in different parts of the radio spectrum to act very differently than it usually does any other day of the year.

Not exactly sure where I’m going, but some remote park seems reasonable.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:29 am

Great Post and one of best friends have a place in Brown County Indiana very near Columbus,In. She has a cabin and hopefully we will make the cut on the invite for that day lol
I am jelly! What a cool experience.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:29 am

I am jelly! What a cool experience.
I'm taking a vacation day April 8th and driving west NW to places like Brookville, Versailles, Hardy lake, ect. I'll be doing some research on the best places to go for the watch party. This will be a once in a lifetime and don't want to miss it. Overcast and rain will of course change the whole picture!
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Monday April 8th Solar Eclipse

Post by winterstormjoe »

I've set this topic thread up to discuss this solar eclipse event from the weather conditions to the watch parties that will be going on to just anything on this topic.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I will pin the topic Joe.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:20 pm I will pin the topic Joe.
Thanks Les,

I'm very excited about this and hope the weather will cooperate! :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:30 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:20 pm I will pin the topic Joe.
Thanks Les,

I'm very excited about this and hope the weather will cooperate! :)
No problem Joe. I remember the last one had about 93% darkness. It was cool.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Of all times and days as I'll be a designated driver and will be with my Dad at his routine eye appt that morning here in G'ville. :)

Greenville e.g. of course in that totality zone and will be very interesting the tourist traffic here in Darke Co. :) ;)

The hotels here will probably be booked! 8-)

Prayerfully great weather for the event! :thumbupleft: 8-)

I know its for merely 'entertainment' purposes but here's the forecast from the Blum's Almanac e.g.:

8-11 Most states east of Mississippi River are stormy.

Also from the Old Farmer's Almanac:

1-8 Rainy; cold, then warm.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Btw, for those who don't have a viewfinder, unless there's a way to make a doable one, you'll probably want to order one soon before they're sold out! ;)
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:28 am Btw, for those who don't have a viewfinder, unless there's a way to make a doable one, you'll probably want to order one soon before they're sold out! ;)
I ordered a dozen glasses in November, before they were gone!
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:28 am Btw, for those who don't have a viewfinder, unless there's a way to make a doable one, you'll probably want to order one soon before they're sold out! ;)
For homemade ...

The best way to view an eclipse is through a simple pinhole camera. To build one, all you need are a few household supplies: a box (a shoe box will work), a small piece of tinfoil, a white sheet of paper, tape, a pin or needle, and a box cutter or X-Acto knife. :)
Sawdoggie
Rain Shower

Post by Sawdoggie »

One quick piece of advice that was given to me when I saw the last one from a guy who had seen several of them... If it is your first or second eclipse, just simply enjoy the moment. Don't worry about trying to photograph it as a picture of the actual eclipse is pretty much the same, no matter who took it and there will be plenty taken. Just sit back, take it all in, and enjoy it. He was absolutely correct as looking through a viewfinder and worrying about getting the perfect shot would have ruined the tranquility of the moment.
Christian
Madeira by week, Ripley, OH by weekend
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHRIPLE5
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

The state of Ohio is preparing for this on a disaster sized level.

The sheer number of people they expect that will show up to witness this event, is driving this. They are also pushing hard for schools to close for the day. Based on timing and possible traffic they don’t want afternoon busses stuck in this mess.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

fyrfyter wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:46 am The state of Ohio is preparing for this on a disaster sized level.

The sheer number of people they expect that will show up to witness this event, is driving this. They are also pushing hard for schools to close for the day. Based on timing and possible traffic they don’t want afternoon busses stuck in this mess.
I can only imagine how bad it will be in Indiana too lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

Returning from Michigan yesterday, saw a semi-trailer parked in a big open field up by Lima or Findley. Painted on the side of the trailer was an advertisement that read "parking spaces available for the eclipse on April 8" with a phone number. Entrepreneurship at it's finest!
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

snowbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:25 am Returning from Michigan yesterday, saw a semi-trailer parked in a big open field up by Lima or Findley. Painted on the side of the trailer was an advertisement that read "parking spaces available for the eclipse on April 8" with a phone number. Entrepreneurship at it's finest!
I took the day off to get an early start driving out to some park in Indiana (Brookville, Versailles, Hardy Lake, ect) to get a good spot. I'm hearing that all the campgrounds are booked already. I bet these parking spaces will cost a lot?
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

snowbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:25 am Returning from Michigan yesterday, saw a semi-trailer parked in a big open field up by Lima or Findley. Painted on the side of the trailer was an advertisement that read "parking spaces available for the eclipse on April 8" with a phone number. Entrepreneurship at it's finest!
That's a lot of the concern on the state level. What happens when something bad happens in a private field full of people with one gate in and out?
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Just got the invitation from my neighbor who has a cabin in Brown County, Indiana for the time period April 6th-9th. Sure we will have full advantage of the event but also a nice 3 day party with some of the neighbors. Should be a blast.