December 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: December 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:29 pm
tpweather wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:50 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:34 pm Per John Gumm at Local 12... below are the 2023 weather extremes at CVG. Local numbers of course will vary. All in all, 2023 was a pretty boring year for weather IMO but again, it is all in perspective as to where you live.

2023 Stats.jpg
What I find even more interesting is the difference between the high and low for the year is only 79 degrees. That must be close to a record
As Bgoney posted previously, we know that 15 degrees is the record warmest low we have ever had for a calendar year. But yeah... that is not much of a spread at all. No idea if that is a record or if the NWS even keeps a stat like that. I wish the stats folks that are used for professional sports would be used in weather. :lol:
Speaking of sports stats ...last night the Browns clinched a playoff beating the Jets 37-20! ;)

Currently 34 here in G'ville.
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

man the weather this month has been crazy. 3 big rain storms and we are close to breaking the all time wettest December ever recorded. looks like things will change a bit as we get into next month. dryer with more shots of cooler or at least average temps.
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and off to the races as I see CVG picked up 0.01 inches of snow overnight.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:52 am man the weather this month has been crazy. 3 big rain storms and we are close to breaking the all time wettest December ever recorded. looks like things will change a bit as we get into next month. dryer with more shots of cooler or at least average temps.
Wow! It's been the exact opposite here. By and large it's been snoozeville! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:10 am Good Morning and off to the races as I see CVG picked up 0.01 inches of snow overnight.
Good morning Tim! I checked the climate report and that only registered as a trace of snow. So nothing to count for the contest unfortunately.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Well folks... you guys know how the closing days of December will play out. A few rain / snow showers today into early tomorrow. Then again as we close out Dec and ring in the new year. Pretty much zzzzzz. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:44 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:10 am Good Morning and off to the races as I see CVG picked up 0.01 inches of snow overnight.
Good morning Tim! I checked the climate report and that only registered as a trace of snow. So nothing to count for the contest unfortunately.
Good Morning Les. I was just looking at the report overnight and it showed between 12a-1a we had 0.01. I guess it fell as rain or a mix.

Sorry to hear about everyone that is either sick or has family that is sick. I wish the best for everyone
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:44 am
Good Morning Les. I was just looking at the report overnight and it showed between 12a-1a we had 0.01. I guess it fell as rain or a mix.

Sorry to hear about everyone that is either sick or has family that is sick. I wish the best for everyone
Thank you Sir! We appreciate it! My Mom is feeling much better today! As for me, I am very very slowly getting there. Will still need another day or two of taking it easy. Like we needed to see a reminder but the snowfall anomaly map below, sure puts it into perspective.

Wheres Da Snow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Btw one the heaviest frosts I have seen in a long time. The grass up here is still green because its been so warm the frost had no problem forming overnight.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Radar shows the bulk of the rain and snow across ILL and SW IN pretty much where the models had it pegged for the last few days.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Light snow is falling now... wow! Radar is not really showing much of anything yet it is coming down rather nicely attm. No accum expected as my temp is 35 degrees so I guess I'll call it "white rain." :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:59 am Light snow is falling now... wow! Radar is not really showing much of anything yet it is coming down rather nicely attm. No accum expected as my temp is 35 degrees so I guess I'll call it "white rain." :lol:
Les the nam showed this while no other model showed anything I believe
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:02 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:59 am Light snow is falling now... wow! Radar is not really showing much of anything yet it is coming down rather nicely attm. No accum expected as my temp is 35 degrees so I guess I'll call it "white rain." :lol:
The NAM was still way overdone though. Per the NAM, it should be snowing all day and this is the first snow flakes I have seen today. I had a few rain and snow showers in the forecast but my point is that the radar is not showing much but it's snowing anyway.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:07 pm
The NAM was still way overdone though. Per the NAM, it should be snowing all day and this is the first snow flakes I have seen today. I had a few rain and snow showers in the forecast but my point is that the radar is not showing much but it's snowing anyway.
Les that is why I asked what is up with the nam today. Could be a bust on all the models for today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:13 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:07 pm
Les that is why I asked what is up with the nam today. Could be a bust on all the models for today.
Could be. Still snowing here although much, much lighter then it was earlier. The lack of radar coverage though... that is a head scratcher to me. I even checked NWS radar out of ILN, as well as Local 12's doppler radar. No clue...
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Here's the answer, per the 11:35am AFD update from the boys:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
Very light rain and drizzle can be found over the region in a
very patchy nature. Due to it falling out of a low deck below
2kft, it`s not being picked up on NWS radar but is noted on TDWR
to some extent. This light precip will continue tonight and end
from nw-se overnight and early Saturday morning.

Broad scale lift occurring over the region today will move east
this afternoon and evening with the l/w trough. Mechanism for
the persistent light precip will then turn to the lingering
lower moisture profile. A thermal trough will cross from
northwest to southeast through the CWA early Saturday and mark
the end of any precipitation, which at that time should be
primarily snow with some drizzle mixed in.

Highs today and lows tonight will be separated by only a handful
of degrees, with a very slow drop from the upper 30s to lower
30s.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Only 37 today at CVG and IMBY. We shall see if we can get one more period of light rain / snow showers overnight into Sat morning and a final one NYE night into NYD. Nothing meaningful is expected with either of these waves.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! See my above post for the rest of December forecast.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

:offtopic: Dad talked with mom a few minutes ago and mom said that the atmosphere is like a torture chamber there at Miami Valley Hospital. There's a nurses shortage and overload of patients and she e.g. is NOT getting the needed attention that is vital for a patient! She's been hardly able to sleep due to a vital tube down her draining out bowel issues even though she has had success passing both fluid and solids as a result of some suppositories. Her surgeon is still contemplating surgery at some point but WHEN is the million dollar Q?!?! She hasn't been given any water or even some ice to suck on to help keep her hydrated! She needs some tissues from time to time and no one available to help her there either. MV is supposed to be one of the best reputable facilities in the Miami Valley region but so far it hasn't been able to live up to that! :x :roll:

Mom said that she would rather just die and go Home to be with Jesus which I can't blame her at all than to languish in a hospital bed with a torture tube down her and staring at the ceiling and the constant sounds of bleeping monitor machines!

Sorry for derailing this topic of wx discussion but has just ended up being a December to NOT want to remember health wise / medical wise in our family! ;)

This the 2nd time we've all had the evil Chinese CCP Covid as we also had the Omicron variant in late Dec 2021 / early Jan 2022. Its the virus from hades!
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently at the freezing mark here in G'ville and progged to top out at around 40 today.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Eric and we have prayers for you and your family and hopefully your mom will get some better care soon. Nursing shortage plus the Holiday makes it tough for patients. My father-n-law was omitted to Christ Hospital on Tuesday as he tons of fluid on this heart and lungs. He has heart and kidney failure and though he came home on Friday this is going to be an ongoing issue.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 am Good Morning Eric and we have prayers for you and your family and hopefully your mom will get some better care soon. Nursing shortage plus the Holiday makes it tough for patients. My father-n-law was omitted to Christ Hospital on Tuesday as he tons of fluid on this heart and lungs. He has heart and kidney failure and though he came home on Friday this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Good morning Tim and thank you, bro. Yes the holiday season compounds the staffing, too. Prayers sent to your father-in-law and to you all.

I had my tonsils removed at Christ Hospital in Nov 1972 and my room had a nice view of the Cincy skyline and Ohio River. I wore Bengals PJs while hospitalized.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:27 am
tpweather wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 am Good Morning Eric and we have prayers for you and your family and hopefully your mom will get some better care soon. Nursing shortage plus the Holiday makes it tough for patients. My father-n-law was omitted to Christ Hospital on Tuesday as he tons of fluid on this heart and lungs. He has heart and kidney failure and though he came home on Friday this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Good morning Tim and thank you, bro. Yes the holiday season compounds the staffing, too. Prayers sent to your father-in-law and to you all.

I had my tonsils removed at Christ Hospital in Nov 1972 and my room had a nice view of the Cincy skyline and Ohio River. I wore Bengals PJs while hospitalized.
My dad was in Christ Hospital from June of 1979-March 1980. He had lung cancer and though the hospital was wonderful he had let his smoking 4 packs of cigs a day go on to long and he died March 17th 1980.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My first, of many, eye surgeries was done at Christ Hospital when I was in the 9th grade. All of my Brothers kids were born there too. Eric... prayers to your family Bro!!! Sure hope you all get better quickly! Mom and I are still nursing our colds on this end. Just that time of year I suppose.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:33 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:27 am

My dad was in Christ Hospital from June of 1979-March 1980. He had lung cancer and though the hospital was wonderful he had let his smoking 4 packs of cigs a day go on to long and he died March 17th 1980.
So sorry to hear, bro. :hug: