December 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: December 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

I don't see the MJO going into the COD at this time. The models continue to grossly under estimate the strength of the MJO and it is getting stronger in Phase 1 as we speak. It is forecast to thru Phase 2 and 3 by the 10th. After that, it may continue into the warmer phases but how long it takes that to occur is anyone's guess. Also, the amount of blocking can override the MJO signal somewhat so we'll need to keep an eye on that to see how sustainable it can become. Also watching the SSW as has been mentioned. We should know if a true SSW occurs or not in the next week and half or so. Then, we wont know its impacts, assuming it occurs, until later in January. Definitely some unknowns as we head into the new year.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

It’s nice to see the GFS showing a more normal looking winter time pattern to go with the more normal temps, regardless of whether or not it shows a winter type outcome for us ATM . I’ll take every 3 or 4 days of it showing southern sliders or mid-west cutters this far out
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

54 here on the east side
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GEFS is showing one heck of a -NAO too. No SE ridge as of yet so we don't have to worry about it linking up with it like what happened last winter in the La Nina.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:52 pm 54 here on the east side
I have 53 with wall to wall blue skies. Clouds are moving in slowly from the West (Over Western IN now) but will have no impact on our highs today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:18 pm It’s nice to see the GFS showing a more normal looking winter time pattern to go with the more normal temps, regardless of whether or not it shows a winter type outcome for us ATM . I’ll take every 3 or 4 days of it showing southern sliders or mid-west cutters this far out
Exactly and will just watch to see if we get a bigger system in this pattern. 37 here in Wausau and the normal temps for this time of year is high of 25 and low of 10. Btw Beijing, China had a record of over 300 hours below 32f. Been keeping record since 1951 I believe so yes there has been cold in some lower latitudes this season just not on this side of the globe yet. Beijing is rather close to us in Latitude as well
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:18 pm It’s nice to see the GFS showing a more normal looking winter time pattern to go with the more normal temps, regardless of whether or not it shows a winter type outcome for us ATM . I’ll take every 3 or 4 days of it showing southern sliders or mid-west cutters this far out
Exactly and will just watch to see if we get a bigger system in this pattern. 37 here in Wausau and the normal temps for this time of year is high of 25 and low of 10. Btw Beijing, China had a record of over 300 hours below 32f. Been keeping record since 1951 I believe so yes there has been cold in some lower latitudes this season just not on this side of the globe yet. Beijing is rather close to us in Latitude as well
Upper Midwest and Michigan areas are the ones I really feel bad for with this weather. A lot of people depend on the cold and snow and all it is now is mud
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

EU roughly the same as the GFS, with southern stream energies traversing the country first week to 10 days of new year
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:28 pm
tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Upper Midwest and Michigan areas are the ones I really feel bad for with this weather. A lot of people depend on the cold and snow and all it is now is mud
It's been awful for the ski resorts of New England and Maine as well. Winter truly has been non-existent for much of North America this December. We all knew it would be warm, but I don't think anyone thought it would turn out this bad for the country as a whole.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:32 pm EU roughly the same as the GFS, with southern stream energies traversing the country first week to 10 days of new year
Yep! We all have known for a long time that winter storms aren't going to show up in the longer term and if they do, it is for one or two runs then they are gone. We have to get something within 3-5 days to take it seriously. Even then, it could be a stretch. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Just shows how mother nature is balancing the earth out with many areas on this side of the planet having record warmth and on the other side record cold. Back in June many parts of China had record warmth while we were more towards normal this summer.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z EPS has a southern slider around Jan 6th and a much better looking storm system around the 9-10th. Again, we should trust nothing this far away but when there is nothing going on, what else is there to talk about? :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I still don't see any changes to my call for Thurs and Fri. We get periods of light rain / snow at night with the best chance of anything heavy enough to stick well west and SW of the area. The track of the upper low isn't good and the system is much weaker then it once was as well. I'm pretty much punting any accumulating snow chances until January unfortunately.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Thanks all for HBD greetings, I wished for a big snowstorm for today, but it didn't happen! Here's to a big snow in the first 10 days of the new year... :drinkingbuddies:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:50 pm Thanks all for HBD greetings, I wished for a big snowstorm for today, but it didn't happen! Here's to a big snow in the first 10 days of the new year... :drinkingbuddies:
Sure hope that your wish comes true, Joe! :xmas:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

:offtopic: When it rains it pours! My folks and I all tested positive for Covid this afternoon. :( And on top of that my Mom Joyce is at our local Wayne Health Care ER as she had an abdominal x-ray and its been confirmed that she has a bowel blockage. :o :( She is currently talking to a surgeon.

The Lord is good and He'll get us all through this! :thumbsup:

Currently 43 here in G'ville and progged for around 36 on Thurs morning.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY 62ND BIRTHDAY JOE!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :snowman:

I hope that you're enjoying your special day, Wxbuddy! 8-)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / CMH reached 51 and DAY 50 today.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:14 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:50 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:38 am
Bgoney wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:31 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 am Good morning all! I'm alive and kicking... well somewhat. :lol: I just got a chance to look at the overnight models and the ULL is indeed south of us unfortunately. So a few rain and snow showers are all we are going to get should that hold as you guys have already mentioned.
Homemade chicken-noodle soup should give you a boost.
True. It's just when I am sick, I never feel like eating. Under normal circumstances, I like to eat LOL
Same with my mom, Bro. Today I feel like I'm coming down with one, too.

Prayerfully we'll all feel much better soon! :thumbupright:
My Mom is sick too and the local Dr. office is so busy right now, she had to get a virtual visit online. I think a lot of sicknesses are running around right now. Hopefully, we all start to feel better soon!
Prayers with your Mom, too, Bro. :thumbsup:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Eric - Thank you Bro! Prayers to you and your family also! :hugs:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

00z GFS shows a total bomb of a low for the end of week two. Very strong cold front and a blast of frigid air for the first time this season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:38 pm Eric - Thank you Bro! Prayers to you and your family also! :hugs:
Thank you, Les! :hugs:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:28 am 00z GFS shows a total bomb of a low for the end of week two. Very strong cold front and a blast of frigid air for the first time this season.
Good morning Trev. It looks fairly boring until then, unless something pops up in the short term of course. This is the first time all season that I can recall that the GFS actually is showing the system on multiple runs. Even the 6Z run has it, albeit a weaker version so it's more SE and a snowier outcome for us. Of course this will change over and over again assuming we don't lose the storm. A big bomb cyclone that is a cutter would not surprise me. It fits the pattern then it should unleash a real wintry pattern behind it for the second half of January and into February per our original seasonal outlooks.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 am
Trevor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:28 am 00z GFS shows a total bomb of a low for the end of week two. Very strong cold front and a blast of frigid air for the first time this season.
Good morning Trev. It looks fairly boring until then, unless something pops up in the short term of course. This is the first time all season that I can recall that the GFS actually is showing the system on multiple runs. Even the 6Z run has it, albeit a weaker version so it's more SE and a snowier outcome for us. Of course this will change over and over again assuming we don't lose the storm. A big bomb cyclone that is a cutter would not surprise me. It fits the pattern then it should unleash a real wintry pattern behind it for the second half of January and into February per our original seasonal outlooks.
I have to start wondering what the records are for the latest 1 inch snowfalls at the big three climate stations across our area. If we get something in the next two weeks we are probably safe from hitting records. After that I do not know. It's so very sad that we have another year we have to talk about these unwanted type records. Half of climatological winter is going to have gone by with no snow yet again.
Doug

Huber Heights
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:35 pm :offtopic: When it rains it pours! My folks and I all tested positive for Covid this afternoon. :( And on top of that my Mom Joyce is at our local Wayne Health Care ER as she had an abdominal x-ray and its been confirmed that she has a bowel blockage. :o :( She is currently talking to a surgeon.

The Lord is good and He'll get us all through this! :thumbsup:

Currently 43 here in G'ville and progged for around 36 on Thurs morning.
So Sorry to hear Eric! Will def be in my prayers! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king: