What's for dinner?

Share your recipes and cooking techniques. Whether you grill, use a smoker, or deep fry. We've got it all here to make your mouth water!
Trevor
Site Admin

What's for dinner?

Post by Trevor »

I've been making major strides to steer away from eating out and instead doing more cooking.

I made chili a couple of days ago and have had a couple dinners off of it. Tonight I'm going to finish it off with a twist by putting it on top of a baked potato along with some shredded cheese and hot sauce. Small garden salad with ranch on the side.

Figured I'd just start a foodie thread for anyone interested in sharing what they are planning for dinner or any recipe ideas!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by MVWxObserver »

I had a homemade meatloaf sandwich, some Bugles and mandarin oranges this evening. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Had crab bisque home made with real Alaskan King crab meat. Huge process, takes hours to make the stock, strain it then make the bisque. Crab meat goes in last.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

For Sun dinner I ate out at a local Greenville restaurant called JT's Brew and Grill and had homemade beef and noodles, mashed potatoes / gravy and seasoned green beans. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We made breakfast sausage and brats at my Brother's yesterday. Ready to heat and eat! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 am We made breakfast sausage and brats at my Brother's yesterday. Ready to heat and eat! :thumbsup:
What kind of meat did you use, Bro? :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 am We made breakfast sausage and brats at my Brother's yesterday. Ready to heat and eat! :thumbsup:
Krogers had a great deal last week on pork butts 99 cents a pound! Really fatty and some nice marbling too. We of course added additional fat that we get from a butcher friend of ours if my brother doesn't get it from Lehr's in Mildford. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:21 pm
Krogers had a great deal last week on pork butts 99 cents a pound! Really fatty and some nice marbling too. We of course added additional fat that we get from a butcher friend of ours if my brother doesn't get it from Lehr's in Mildford. :lol:
Sounds wonderful, Les! 8-) I looked up Lehr's and its an awesome supermarket! :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Mw7NAmpHei
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:21 pm
Sounds wonderful, Les! 8-) I looked up Lehr's and its an awesome supermarket! :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Mw7NAmpHei
Tried their steaks, weren't worth the 30 dollar price tag, but some stuff is really good there!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Was with my folks yesterday on a couple of med appts that Mom had in the Clifton (U.C. Health) and Mercy Health (Green Twp / Monfort Hts) areas and for lunch we went to a Chick-fil-A in Bridgetown where I got a grilled chicken sandwich, waffle fries and a fruit cup. :) Chick-fil-A is probably one of my top favorite fast food eateries as we don't have one here in Darke Co and the nearest one to us up this way is probably somewhere in Dayton. ;)

Then for supper as we passed through Hamilton we stopped at a longtime favorite eatery called Hyde's Restaurant which has been a signature landmark since 1946 and located off of Erie Hwy (Route 4). 8-) I had an open face roast beef, mashed potatoes / gravy and seasoned green beans. :) Hyde's is well known e.g. for their famous homemade stacked meringue cream pies and fruit pies so I had a slice of butterscotch pie and talk about melt-in-your-mouth "Heaven"! :heartsthree:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I love those old mom and pop / road side dinner type places. Covid really killed a lot of them off. Nice to see one still thriving! :thumbsup: I don't eat out much unless on fishing trips or something. We will be eating out somewhere tomorrow night after Harper's play. They Milford Youth Theater is doing a kids version of 101 Dalmatians.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm I love those old mom and pop / road side dinner type places. Covid really killed a lot of them off. Nice to see one still thriving! :thumbsup: I don't eat out much unless on fishing trips or something. We will be eating out somewhere tomorrow night after Harper's play. They Milford Youth Theater is doing a kids version of 101 Dalmatians.
Same here Bro. :)

My folks, sister and I ate at Hyde's lots of times during our years in Hamilton from 1975-1985. 8-) Another mom and pop one that we enjoyed also in Hamilton was Hickory Hut which opened in 1979 but closed in 1994. A famed dish there I liked was frog legs e.g. :)

Hyde's is on the east side of the city and Hickory Hut was on the west side.

I've always loved 101 Dalmatians! 8-) Esp of course Cruella Deville and her 2 bumbling dog catchers! ;)

What part does Harper have? :) What a FUN time for those childhood / parents / grandparents / uncle years, too! 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

She is playing a Dalmatian. Don't know if there is a speaking part or not.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hi Les,

How was Harper's 101 Dalmatians play? :)

Where did you guys eat afterward? :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:22 pm Hi Les,

We ended up eating fish sandwiches and tator tots leaving for her show. Harper did great! She got to sing and dance with a lot of other kids as a Dalmatian. Show #2 is going on right now. Show #3 at 4pm. Then we are getting the boys tonight and tomorrow. Katie works on Sunday. MY Brother will be on his way back from Spring Valley I hope with a win! Weight in at 4:30pm EDT. :)

Tonight, having your traditional corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:41 pm

We ended up eating fish sandwiches and tator tots leaving for her show. Harper did great! She got to sing and dance with a lot of other kids as a Dalmatian. Show #2 is going on right now. Show #3 at 4pm. Then we are getting the boys tonight and tomorrow. Katie works on Sunday. MY Brother will be on his way back from Spring Valley I hope with a win! Weight in at 4:30pm EDT. :)

Tonight, having your traditional corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day! :thumbsup:
Hey Les,

Great to hear that Harper and her cast mate friends had a blast! 8-) So what kind of fun did you, your folks, Harper, Colton and Cooper have today? 8-)

Where did Larry Jr place in the Spring Valley tournament? 8-) Where do you get your corned beef? :)

Speaking of tator tots, my Mom has made tator tot casserole on occasion and one of the ingredients is mixed vegetables. :)

Not sure where the kids are on veggies but perhaps they'd like it, too. :thumbupright:
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

For Sun dinner my folks and I went to another historic mom and pop eatery called Pearson House located in West Milton, OH southeast of Greenville. :) Have been there a few times and my favorite entree is ham loaf w/ a vinegary glaze and I had sides of corn pudding and seasoned green beans. :) Pearson House is also well known for their stacked meringue cream pies and fruit pies and I had a slice of lemon meringue pie. :)

This building was built in 1903, and was known as the “New Pearson Hotel”. The restaurant was constructed on the foundation of the old Pearson Hotel, that was built in 1876. 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:31 pm
tron777 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:41 pm

Hey Les,

Great to hear that Harper and her cast mate friends had a blast! 8-) So what kind of fun did you, your folks, Harper, Colton and Cooper have today? 8-)

Where did Larry Jr place in the Spring Valley tournament? 8-) Where do you get your corned beef? :)

Speaking of tator tots, my Mom has made tator tot casserole on occasion and one of the ingredients is mixed vegetables. :)

Not sure where the kids are on veggies but perhaps they'd like it, too. :thumbupright:
I played games with the kids, did a scavenger hunt etc. Was too cold to do much outside. Larry and Dan got 25th place out of 103 boats. Just missed cashing a check by 5 spots.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It was such a nice evening, that I grilled pork steaks for dinner smothered in Open Pit bbq sauce. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Thinking about spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner today. Haven’t had it in a while. I typically like to use Bob Evans ground spicy sausage instead of ground beef. Going to have a side salad and garlic bread as well.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

We eat out waaaay too much! LOL Prices are getting out of hand though so I'm sure we will be making more meals at home in the future.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:32 am Thinking about spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner today. Haven’t had it in a while. I typically like to use Bob Evans ground spicy sausage instead of ground beef. Going to have a side salad and garlic bread as well.
Had speg for dinner a few days ago! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My niece Janae in NC got my folks and I interested in Factor meals e.g. for a change of pace. :) Our first home-delivered ones arrived yesterday and all we have to do is freeze them and then microwave 'em and they are delicious, too. :)

For lunch today I had a chicken thigh w/ wild rice and mushrooms and seasoned green beans in a garlic sauce. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:55 pm My niece Janae in NC got my folks and I interested in Factor meals e.g. for a change of pace. :) Our first home-delivered ones arrived yesterday and all we have to do is freeze them and then microwave 'em and they are delicious, too. :)

For lunch today I had a chicken thigh w/ wild rice and mushrooms and seasoned green beans in a garlic sauce. :)
As long as the beans weren't crunchy that sounds great!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:39 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:55 pm My niece Janae in NC got my folks and I interested in Factor meals e.g. for a change of pace. :) Our first home-delivered ones arrived yesterday and all we have to do is freeze them and then microwave 'em and they are delicious, too. :)

As long as the beans weren't crunchy that sounds great!
The beans were crunchy but good. :)