Sunday Wet Snow Thump 1/22/23

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Sunday Wet Snow Thump 1/22/23

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:54 am This was posted last hour. Angry mob is after ILN on Twitter and FB, and I don’t blame them. They did a terrible job with this system, especially when it comes to catching up this morning as inches began stacking up. Advisory and forecast should have been upgraded hours ago.
Yeah... they should have at least upgraded with their overnight package without a doubt. I'm still under an advisory and should have the warning also that you all have in Ohio.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Going for the jugular! 😂☠️
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

- Mark in Oakbrook (Burlington KY)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

600-850 MB EPV! :wub:

epvm_sf.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

sbpstudios
Rain Shower

Post by sbpstudios »

This is a beautiful thing! :hearteyes:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

31 as of 10am at CVG with heavy snow and 1/4 mile vis being reported. QPF now at 0.31"!!! Those juicer model runs were right.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:56 am Going for the jugular! 😂☠️
The good thing is the folks on here did a great job with the Blizzard and again I pay some attention to the NWS but that does mean I always agree with them. This system was always a risk/reward outcome and Les and myself spent way too many hours on this yesterday and we talked about some banding of snow though I thought it would be further north and west plus the area was much greater than I expected. Not sure I saw the NWS talk about banding at all and maybe I just missed that part of their forecast. Just measured about 10 minutes and over 3 inches and counting
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:02 am
The good thing is the folks on here did a great job with the Blizzard and again I pay some attention to the NWS but that does mean I always agree with them. This system was always a risk/reward outcome and Les and myself spent way too many hours on this yesterday and we talked about some banding of snow though I thought it would be further north and west plus the area was much greater than I expected. Not sure I saw the NWS talk about banding at all and maybe I just missed that part of their forecast. Just measured about 10 minutes and over 3 inches and counting
I pay a lot of attn to their AFD's Tim and you missed nothing. They never once mentioned dynamic cooling, mesoscale banding, etc etc. Not once. We drove that point home hard! It's those little details that you have to pay attention too and ILN was asleep on the job. We were a little low obviously and were a little too far NW with our heaviest snow axis but we absolutely had the correct meteorology and our thought processes were also 100% correct. We knew this was a little bit stronger of a system with a partial phase when those juicer runs started coming in within the last 24 hours as well as the colder look due to dynamic cooling processes.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Impressive 45+DBZ headed up 71 towards Wilmington
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
mikeyp
Heavy Rain

Post by mikeyp »

I have well over 5” in white oak! Very heavy snow has been falling
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Lol , same Old JT
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

My temp has gone up to 34 with rain. Not sure why the Advisory. Congrats to all who got thumped! Beautiful!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:07 am
tpweather wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:02 am
I pay a lot of attn to their AFD's Tim and you missed nothing. They never once mentioned dynamic cooling, mesoscale banding, etc etc. Not once. We drove that point home hard! It's those little details that you have to pay attention too and ILN was asleep on the job. We were a little low obviously and were a little too far NW with our heaviest snow axis but we absolutely had the correct meteorology and our thought processes were also 100% correct. We knew this was a little bit stronger of a system with a partial phase when those juicer runs started coming in within the last 24 hours as well as the colder look due to dynamic cooling processes.
Les when we saw those temps cool quite a bit after 4pm I felt better about the precip being in the form of snow. Still though missed the location of the heaviest banding. In a couple of hours should turn to drizzle and then wait for some snow flurries/snow showers later today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Seeing a lot of 3-6" reports across SE IN, SW OH and NKY on social media. Clearly winter storm warning criteria for this area.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I see the NWS put up a winter storm warning for parts of southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 am I see the NWS put up a winter storm warning for parts of southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana
Yet we are not under the warning in our counties Tim. Just like we never got that blizzard warning either back around Christmas. :lol: Oh well... I'll take the end results that we've seen and be happy. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Another heavy band moving thru, back to heavy snow and big flakes yet again. I think my hood could get to that 5" mark after all. 4" now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 am Another heavy band moving thru, back to heavy snow and big flakes yet again. I think my hood could get to that 5" mark after all. 4" now.
Les just looked out the weather window in my weather office and the flakes once again have gotten bigger and the rate is heavier
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:23 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 am Another heavy band moving thru, back to heavy snow and big flakes yet again. I think my hood could get to that 5" mark after all. 4" now.
Les just looked out the weather window in my weather office and the flakes once again have gotten bigger and the rate is heavier
Radar still continues to look fantastic for more bands of mod to hvy snow for our hoods, I-71 corridor, etc etc.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Snow plow man
Rain Shower

Post by Snow plow man »

6” in Fairfield Township
Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Had the dogs out half hour ago, measured 4 inches
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

More to come.
[img]]
- Mark in Oakbrook (Burlington KY)
shlybluz
Rain Shower

Post by shlybluz »

Covington checking in. Currently in a band of heavy snow. Not going out to measure , just eyeballing based on the known height of my cinderblock hibachi stand outside my basement door - easily 4 if not 5 inches already. Being as close to the river as I am I expect to be at least 6 to 8 before this is all over.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

What a wonderful Sunday Snow Thumping Funday! As long as the Bengals take care of business this afternoon and get the W then we've got a WHODEY! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

shlybluz wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:36 am Covington checking in. Currently in a band of heavy snow. Not going out to measure , just eyeballing based on the known height of my cinderblock hibachi stand outside my basement door - easily 4 if not 5 inches already. Being as close to the river as I am I expect to be at least 6 to 8 before this is all over.
Welcome back! Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope all is well. :) I agree... lots of folks are going to be in that 4-6"+ range for sure.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page