Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:09 pm
Bgoney wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:38 pm Got a package of mystery seeds from "you know where" today in the mail. Haven't heard much about this crap this year yet,, Anyone else ? Or am I the chosen one
Last year I heard about China doing something like that re mystery seeds.
I have heard of the same thing going on but have never received anything.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

What a much needed well timed rain for me . I watered the landscape Friday and Saturday while emptying my three 275 gallon water bladders I have behind my garage, hoping they'd get filled or partially filled Sun/mon . So having done that and now a good soaker on top, I am set for at least a week, probably two on watering the trees and shrubs. Bladders our now at least half full , so I'll have some ammo when I need to water again
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm What a much needed well timed rain for me . I watered the landscape Friday and Saturday while emptying my three 275 gallon water bladders I have behind my garage, hoping they'd get filled or partially filled Sun/mon . So having done that and now a good soaker on top, I am set for at least a week, probably two on watering the trees and shrubs. Bladders our now at least half full , so I'll have some ammo when I need to water again
Hi Bgoney,

I'd never heard of such a thing so went and Googled. :) Are yours steel or plastic makes? :)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:09 pm
Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm What a much needed well timed rain for me . I watered the landscape Friday and Saturday while emptying my three 275 gallon water bladders I have behind my garage, hoping they'd get filled or partially filled Sun/mon . So having done that and now a good soaker on top, I am set for at least a week, probably two on watering the trees and shrubs. Bladders our now at least half full , so I'll have some ammo when I need to water again
Hi Bgoney,

I'd never heard of such a thing so went and Googled. :) Are yours steel or plastic makes? :)
They are plastic, my brother in law got them at the factory he works at. They had a cleaning agent in them nothing toxic of course, but I still had them cleaned up before I hooked the garage downspouts to them. I had them for about 10 years
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Here's two hidden behind the barn

IMG_20220718_173154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:34 pm Here's two hidden behind the barn

IMG_20220718_173154.jpg
Clever way to irrigate! 8-)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm

IMG_20220718_173154.jpg
It helps save on the water bill . I have a small transfer pump i use with a lengthy water hose hooked up and I can pretty much reach my whole landscape with it
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A much needed drink here too! Lawn is green and lush again as Tim has mentioned in our weather thread. Tomatoes continue to devleop and ripen and come in. Picking beans weekly. Life is good for mid summer! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:33 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm

IMG_20220718_173154.jpg
It helps save on the water bill . I have a small transfer pump i use with a lengthy water hose hooked up and I can pretty much reach my whole landscape with it
Awesome as mentioned! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Garden harvest and the new plants are asparagus beans.

IMG_20220719_145614681.jpg
IMG_20220719_164220386.jpg
IMG_20220719_164231848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Good lookin beans right there.

No rain today, but it was a nice comfortable day to ride up to Cbus and visit one of the Arboretums in the area. We walked around the Dawes Arboretum in Newark. Wonderful mature plantings , Japanese garden and many conifers which of course are always my favorite. We will be going back
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome! Sounds like a great time! :) Picking a few tomatoes every now and again. I picked another batch of white half runners the other day, and will be picking another batch of bush beans later in the week. Still using spices for cooking all the time of course. :lol: Just a nice season this year all around.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked 3 more tomatoes today. Picked the last batch of white half runners for the season. They are done. Bush beans still looking good and will pick a couple more batches before they are thru. Asparagus bean experiment looking good. Will post a pic next week or so of its progress.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Cucs , zucchini , green peepers , tomatoes and carrots, still going strong. Cabbage looks wonderful. Will be planting lettuce and more Cabbage, in the coming days and weeks.

Who says I can't take shiite. Just picked up 3 loads of horse manure, about 25 yds, at a horse farm down the road from me. Come November some will be going on the garden, some on landscape and some to rot down to compost. Ah, livin the dream!!

IMG_20220803_150101.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome! Nice having access to that stuff I'm sure. A good cost saving measure. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:56 pm Awesome! Nice having access to that stuff I'm sure. A good cost saving measure. :thumbsup:
Yea, I mean, I know it's crap but it's gold to me . Free and they load it
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:56 pm Awesome! Nice having access to that stuff I'm sure. A good cost saving measure. :thumbsup:
Yea, I mean, I know it's crap but it's gold to me . Free and they load it
I would have done the same. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Speaking of horse manure, that scene from "The Shawshank Redemption" where Heywood, Red, Floyd, and others dig for rocks for Andy's geology collection and Heywood comes upon a nugget of petrified aforementioned. :lol: ;)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:04 pm Speaking of horse manure, that scene from "The Shawshank Redemption" where Heywood, Red, Floyd, and others dig for rocks for Andy's geology collection and Heywood comes upon a nugget of petrified aforementioned. :lol: ;)
That movie is always on anymore LOL
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:13 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:04 pm Speaking of horse manure, that scene from "The Shawshank Redemption" where Heywood, Red, Floyd, and others dig for rocks for Andy's geology collection and Heywood comes upon a nugget of petrified aforementioned. :lol: ;)
That movie is always on anymore LOL
I just watched it 2 days ago, lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I've been averaging a batch of bush beans per week for the freezer so some good eating come winter! :) Tomatoes also continuing to come in. Picked 4 more for dinner tonight. A pic of my experimental asparagus bean plants.

38908.jpeg
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Took the cucumber vines out with the cucumber beetle doing its dirty work spreading the disease that kills the vines. It's normally when the cucs come out. Another fantastic harvest. Prepared the said area and planted more lettuce seed for a fall harvest. Also trying some spinach seed to see if I can get something from that. Last week's planting of Peas are up as well as lettuce . Zucchini are still going strong, which is longer than usual for them, 7 stalks and I'm well over a hundred ,probably inthe 2s category. Been giving pretty much every family member and friend zucs for a couple month's
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 am Took the cucumber vines out with the cucumber beetle doing its dirty work spreading the disease that kills the vines. It's normally when the cucs come out. Another fantastic harvest. Prepared the said area and planted more lettuce seed for a fall harvest. Also trying some spinach seed to see if I can get something from that. Last week's planting of Peas are up as well as lettuce . Zucchini are still going strong, which is longer than usual for them, 7 stalks and I'm well over a hundred ,probably inthe 2s category. Been giving pretty much every family member and friend zucs for a couple month's
Fantastic report! It has been a good year! We're still getting great silver queen corn from a local farmer around here too. Fresh tomatoes, beans and corn, a summer staple in my family. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Been getting some green peppers , but over the past 2 weeks have struggled with an aphid population explosion that continues out of control. They are only on my peppers Thank goodness. I've tried everything, manually squishing, sharp water spray, I've even sprayed the appropriate Insecticide a couple times which I hate to do , and nothing has worked . They multiply so fast. There are plenty of peppers currently on the plants , but I think as far as new ones developing in the coming weeks, that ain't going to happen.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 am Been getting some green peppers , but over the past 2 weeks have struggled with an aphid population explosion that continues out of control. They are only on my peppers Thank goodness. I've tried everything, manually squishing, sharp water spray, I've even sprayed the appropriate Insecticide a couple times which I hate to do , and nothing has worked . They multiply so fast. There are plenty of peppers currently on the plants , but I think as far as new ones developing in the coming weeks, that ain't going to happen.
I guess soapy water on the underside of the leaves didn't help either? Only other thing I can think of.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page