Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: Gardening 2021 Thread

Post by Bgoney »

I've had different varieties of Azalea's blooming since before the snow last month, a good 5 weeks and some are still going strong
20210520_184032.jpg
20210520_184049.jpg
20210520_184129.jpg
20210520_184244.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Absolutely Gorgeous, Bgoney!! :) :thumbupleft:

I also like that Bigfoot ornament! 8-)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:25 pm Absolutely Gorgeous, Bgoney!! :) :thumbupleft:

I also like that Bigfoot ornament! 8-)
Thanks, my wife loves the Sasquatch also!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I love your pics, Bgoney! Your property is so beautiful! You are a professional and are a hard working man who takes pride in his work. The pictures absolutely prove it. Top notch!!! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I got some more things planted today after mowing the lawn. A couple of broccoli plants, cauliflower, the spices mentioned in my last post, 3 tomato plants. Two are beef steak and the other one is a red and yellow striped thing??? Pics come harvest time will be interesting there. :lol:

Will plant flowers tomorrow after work and will put dirt and KY white half runner seeds in along the fence in the backyard to expand the bean operation there. Will post pics in the days and weeks to come as things get going. Just gotta keep the newbies and seeds watered in this heat and it'll rapidly explode. :smileyflower:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Flowers are in and white 1/2 runner seeds are planted. Let the 2021 Growing Season (for my hood) officially begin! :banguitar:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Everthing in the ground here also . Made a new garden bed in the backyard just for the leafy greens , lettuce , cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. Started shading my cucs, and tomatoes at the midday sun with some old window screens, they're just not up for that kind of temp yet . Probably keep this up for at least 4 plus days , and gradually work them into the heat of the day.

Going to visit the Northern Ky Arboretum tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it. Maybe i'll see Kris.
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Wow, beautiful landscape, Bgoney!!! Thanks for posting those pics!!!

Finally, gardens are getting going! We have everything in the ground too! Tomatoes, started from seed in the basement under lights, broccoli, bought the plants, and then all seed planted, carrots, cantaloup, cucumber, kale, butternut squash. We planted spinach about a month ago, didn't do it the tried and true Les method but it worked out okay, thanks to the cool down. Les, we never get around to doing the late fall planting but decided to try early spring and this year, it worked out okay but with the heat we have now, we will probably not get much more than a couple more pickings.

Fun stuff! Glad cicadas don't eat garden plants!!! :)
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 pm Everthing in the ground here also . Made a new garden bed in the backyard just for the leafy greens , lettuce , cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. Started shading my cucs, and tomatoes at the midday sun with some old window screens, they're just not up for that kind of temp yet . Probably keep this up for at least 4 plus days , and gradually work them into the heat of the day.

Going to visit the Northern Ky Arboretum tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it. Maybe i'll see Kris.

Too bad I have an eye exam this morning. I'd meet up with you otherwise since you're close by my hood. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

WxMom wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:32 am Wow, beautiful landscape, Bgoney!!! Thanks for posting those pics!!!

Finally, gardens are getting going! We have everything in the ground too! Tomatoes, started from seed in the basement under lights, broccoli, bought the plants, and then all seed planted, carrots, cantaloup, cucumber, kale, butternut squash. We planted spinach about a month ago, didn't do it the tried and true Les method but it worked out okay, thanks to the cool down. Les, we never get around to doing the late fall planting but decided to try early spring and this year, it worked out okay but with the heat we have now, we will probably not get much more than a couple more pickings.

Fun stuff! Glad cicadas don't eat garden plants!!! :)
Gina, I have had more success planting spinach in the fall because we get hot so fast here in the spring. Spinach likes cool, and wet weather to get those big leaves on it. That is why I give it a heard start in the fall then when spring comes, it's already got that head start that it needs to produce the nice leaves come mid to late April and by early May, it's done and you can put something else in that spot for the summer season. Works out great!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 pm Everthing in the ground here also . Made a new garden bed in the backyard just for the leafy greens , lettuce , cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. Started shading my cucs, and tomatoes at the midday sun with some old window screens, they're just not up for that kind of temp yet . Probably keep this up for at least 4 plus days , and gradually work them into the heat of the day.

Bgoney,

How was the Arboretum tour? :)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Bgoney,

How was the Arboretum tour? :)
Hey Eric, it was great, thats quite a complex with all the sports fields and the walking path snaking through the property
We walked the main path for a couple hours. Lots of room to plant more trees and shrubs and theme beds.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some pics of the new flowers and plants / veggies.

Bush beans and wax beans
IMG_20210525_193059182_MP.jpg
KY White Half runners coming up now.
IMG_20210525_193029094.jpg
Tomatoes, broccoli, garlic chives
IMG_20210525_193002474.jpg
Spices:. Dill, thyme, basil, oregono, and the big pot on the ground is parsley.
IMG_20210525_192929810.jpg
Flower box in front yard.
IMG_20210525_192811024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Wow lots of awesome pics! You guys definitely master landscaping!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Great pics Les!!! All looks great!! :) Love the spice garden!! Great to have fresh spices for all your awesome recipes!!!
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

WxMom wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:22 am Great pics Les!!! All looks great!! :) Love the spice garden!! Great to have fresh spices for all your awesome recipes!!!
It may not seem like much, but having fresh spices for cooking really does make a huge difference flavor wise. If you were to try it, you'd never turn back. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Nice pics Les.

Here you go boys and girls and others. Coming to a yard near you(eventually)

According to LG Electronics, it will receive 50 volunteers by June 11 and let them use the robot lawn mowers for two months. Based on their feedback, LG Electronics will develop a model customized to Korea’s residential environment.

“Participants in the program will be given the chance to purchase the robot lawn mowers at half the price,” a company official said. Customers can apply for the program at www.lgebetamower.com. (sorry - this site is in Korean only)

The robot lawn mowers have advanced technologies used in LG Electronics’ robot vacuum cleaners -- obstacle detection sensors, autonomous driving and smartphone remote control function.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I would love to see a robot mower tackle the hill imby. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:45 pm I would love to see a robot mower tackle the hill imby. :lol:
I know right, say goodbye to your flowers Also
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Holy Crap, its a no holds barred slug-feast in the garden. They're on plants I've never seen them on. Constantly moist leaves and no sun makes for a picnic of epic proportions. Spent about an hour picking the slippery slime machines and flicking them to less garden friendly location
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:05 pm Holy Crap, its a no holds barred slug-feast in the garden. They're on plants I've never seen them on. Constantly moist leaves and no sun makes for a picnic of epic proportions. Spent about an hour picking the slippery slime machines and flicking them to less garden friendly location
Wonder if slugs make good fishing bait?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:05 pm Holy Crap, its a no holds barred slug-feast in the garden. They're on plants I've never seen them on. Constantly moist leaves and no sun makes for a picnic of epic proportions. Spent about an hour picking the slippery slime machines and flicking them to less garden friendly location
I have to use bug-getta from time to time to kill the little bastards! Oh, and my Dad told me a cool trick to try. Take a beer cap, put some cheap beer in the cap, put it outside and they will drowned themselves in the beer cap.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Picked a head of cabbage yesterday and snow peas for a couple days. The pods usually don't make it into the house , they are so good
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Just a quick update here... got a couple of green tomatoes now developing. Also for the green bean patch, tons of flowers and a few little beans also starting to develop. It won't be long until fresh green beans are coming in! The white half runner patch (most of it) did survive the heavy rains we got when I was out of town last weekend and about half of the plants are tall enough now that they are starting to climb which is supposed to happen. These are pole beans, not bush beans. For the broccoli and cauliflower plants, the cicadas chomped on some of the leaves, but not enough to kill the plants, just slow down their development a bit. Now that the cicadas are about done, that issue is resolved! Spice plants are good enough now to begin cutting when needed for cooking. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

One more little update: One of the cauliflower plants has a small little head developing about the size of a quarter right now. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page