Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Gardening 2021 Thread

Post by tron777 »

I picked beans a couple of days ago for the first time this season. Not a lot but a few. Next week, they will be on fire so I'll get a bucketful then. :) Still have a few little green tomatoes and that little head of cauliflower developing as well. Spice are doing well too for cooking purposes.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I picked a bucketful of bush beans after the party! Beans are doing great! The broccoli and cauliflower plants didn't make it. I put them in too late and the cicadas ate the hell out of them too. So, I put in more bean seeds since they are doing so great. I'll get a small late season cop. :) Pole beans are climbing and have flowers now. Spices doing good! Have 7 little green tomatoes on my 3 tomato plants at the present time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Wonder if there's any preventive measure for those who garden and have cicadas around to deter cicadas from your crops?

I've read i.e. that a shallow dish of beer or some other kind of adult beverage can deter snail slugs.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:28 pm Wonder if there's any preventive measure for those who garden and have cicadas around to deter cicadas from your crops?

I've read i.e. that a shallow dish of beer or some other kind of adult beverage can deter snail slugs.
It's only once every 17 years for those critters so I'm ok with it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Almost forgot my daily cucumber pick. To many for me but I have a lot of siblings and my dad to give the rest.
20210709_205636.jpg
20210709_205652.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney,

Does your wife or any of your siblings make their own pickles? :)

If they do can their own, they should add some cloves for an extra taste flair to the brine. :thumbupleft:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Holy Cow! I did a double take and thought those were tomato plants for a minute. :lol: Wow, those cucs are awesome! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 am Bgoney,

Does your wife or any of your siblings make their own pickles? :)

If they do can their own, they should add some cloves for an extra taste flair to the brine. :thumbupleft:
Yes they do, and they all have their own recipes, I think we have all tried the different ones and everyone kind of has their own taste
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:21 am Holy Cow! I did a double take and thought those were tomato plants for a minute. :lol: Wow, those cucs are awesome! :thumbsup:
After years of letting them sprawl on the ground they took up a tremendous amount space in my not so big garden. Started the trellis growing about 5 or 6 years ago and its worked out well in space saving and easy harvest
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome idea Bgoney! Speaking of making pickles, my aunt makes and cans her own pickles. She makes really good garlic dills!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Took advantage of my not so good luck with rain the past few days and got a good chunk of my pin oak cut up that broke off a few weeks ago. What was left was a large half that was leaning towards the house so I had to cut the whole thing down. Beautiful heartwood.
20210713_185102.jpg
20210713_185136.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

That's some good smoking wood once it is seasoned.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked more beans on Thurs and the first tomato of the season is almost ready. Pole beans will be ready when I come back as well as more bush beans. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Hey Les , when do you usually plant spinach for a fall crop
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:01 pm Hey Les , when do you usually plant spinach for a fall crop
Usually sometime in mid to late October. If it's a hot fall like 80s / 90s wait till that crap is done at least. You just want enough time for the spinach to sprout and grow to a couple of inches before winter comes and that's it. Growing resumes in March or April depending on the pattern.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:17 pm
Bgoney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:01 pm Hey Les , when do you usually plant spinach for a fall crop
Usually sometime in mid to late October. If it's a hot fall like 80s / 90s wait till that crap is done at least. You just want enough time for the spinach to sprout and grow to a couple of inches before winter comes and that's it. Growing resumes in March or April depending on the pattern.
Thanks Les, will definitely do that but I'm also going to try and actually get a stand for picking in oct. so sometime in September I think I'll plant , at least see what happens
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:19 pm
Thanks Les, will definitely do that but I'm also going to try and actually get a stand for picking in oct. so sometime in September I think I'll plant , at least see what happens
If we have a cool / wet pattern it's the best for spinach. Hot and warm or dry is no good.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked a few tomatoes yesterday and more beans of course as August begins...
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Green Beans (bush and white 1/2 runners) continue to come in. Will be picking more of both kinds today. Got another tomato or so ready here shortly. I haven't had a good year for tomatoes, but boy oh boy, it has been a banner year for green beans! Awesome weather pattern for those. They like the heat and moisture! Chives are beginning to go to seed as they do this time of year. Rest of the spices are doing well and we continue to cook with them from time to time. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:15 am Green Beans (bush and white 1/2 runners) continue to come in. Will be picking more of both kinds today. Got another tomato or so ready here shortly. I haven't had a good year for tomatoes, but boy oh boy, it has been a banner year for green beans! Awesome weather pattern for those. They like the heat and moisture! Chives are beginning to go to seed as they do this time of year. Rest of the spices are doing well and we continue to cook with them from time to time. :)
"Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme ..." :banguitar: :bandreads: :banguitar: :banblonde:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney I wanted to bump this response. I have gone as early as late Sept but it depends on the pattern. Kinda of use a little long term forecasting and take your best guess. :lol: I might go with Sept this year if the thinking of an early winter esp looks to be on par. I will post when I plant for sure in this thread. The kind of seeds I sow are called Bloomingdale. It really gets those nice big leaves in the Spring esp if we get a cold and wet one like the last two spring's. Miserable for us perfect for spinach.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Getting a couple of nice tomatoes now... more beans as usual. Kick butt year for them! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked 3 big and beautiful tomatoes today! We will enjoy those this weekend! :) Looks like another batch for the beans will be ready whenever I can get to them... the weekend like on Sunday I am hoping for, but if not... early next week. That's my latest update.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Went ahead and wrapped up the gardening stuff for the season. Going to dehydrate the rest of the spices tomorrow. Last thing to do in about a week or so is to sow my spinach seeds. I held off due tot he dry and warm conditions. Spinach likes cool and damp conditions. I only want it to sprout and come up an inch or two before the cold and snowy weather comes. If it would have gotten cold early I would have had it in already but due to the big blocking ridge, need to hold off a bit. That'll wrap it up for my 2021 gardening season for the most part.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Yea , I took out the last couple tomato plants . I planted spinach a week ago, no signs of sprouting yet,, plan on planting another batch in a few days.