March 2, 2012: 10 Years Later

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

March 2, 2012: 10 Years Later

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:56 pm March 2, 2012: 10 Years Later.... This is a new webpage from the boys highlighting that tornado outbreak.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5a ... ec34d75740
Such a sad day. Models were all over this outbreak. Friend of ours lost her partner that day and really don't think she has recovered.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:12 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:56 pm March 2, 2012: 10 Years Later.... This is a new webpage from the boys highlighting that tornado outbreak.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5a ... ec34d75740
Such a sad day. Models were all over this outbreak. Friend of ours lost her partner that day and really don't think she has recovered.
The Piner, KY Tornado passed about 5 miles south of my hood. Then I remember the Moscow tornado. Close to where I used to fish for walleye / sauger on the Ohio by Meldahl Dam. :lol: Glad it missed the power plant there in Moscow off of US 52.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I remember the temp at noon along the River was around 40 degrees and thinking there's no way we see severe storms
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:56 pm I remember the temp at noon along the River was around 40 degrees and thinking there's no way we see severe storms
If you go to that link I posted from ILN, we had lows in the 30s that morning... warmed to 70 LOL A crazy day!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

March 2, 2012: Ten Years Later

Post by Trevor »

Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2, 2012: Ten Years Later

Post by tron777 »

I mentioned this in the regular March thread so will move a few posts from there over into this thread.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:24 am I mentioned this in the regular March thread so will move a few posts from there over into this thread.
Roger that.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Posts have been moved so all is well now in the forum world. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

I remember this well. That was a crazy day. It became a situation of not if a tornado was going to occur in the Tri-State area, but where and when. As the day warmed we figured late afternoon would be the best time to expect that.

There were a few firsts that day- the first time we had to ask NWS to cut us lose from Skywarn duties early, because Red Cross was asking for an activation for contacting the outlying areas about damage, so we had to use Ham Radio for that, since there was an issue with phone service. I took a box of Red Cross Radios to the shelter at New Richmond School.

This is also the first time we got reports of debris falling from the sky. 2x4s and plywood landed on the runways and taxiways at CVG, forcing a full ground stop to airport operations. This is also the first time we had reports of debris falling out of the sky in areas along the river. Delhi found old checks, photos and tiny bits of insulation.

The next day was another full day of field assessments for damage. Red Cross teams surveyed the damage over a large area, primarily communicating via Ham Radio, from the building in Evanston to the teams in the outlying areas.

On average, this area sees a tornado every 10 years. Not saying we are due, but the longer we go, the more likely it is to occur.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Two days to go until the big day! We certainly were busy tracking it on the old version of AV lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tron777 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:23 am Two days to go until the big day! We certainly were busy tracking it on the old version of AV lol
Yes, you guys were Alllllll over that one. I remember as it got to the day before, I was paying more attention to AV than I was my work; by the day of, the folks sitting around me weren't getting any work done either, since every post I read, I think i got the same shiver down my back and kept saying "Oh my God" or "Holy Shhht!" or something along those lines. My team leader I could tell was getting frustrated at my lack of attention to work stuff and how it was cascading over to those around me, but he also knew I knew what I was talking about and if I was that worried, there was a good reason.
I remember our company kicking people early in the hopes that folks could get home before the fireworks started, but being a large bureaucracy, getting the decision made and the word out actually took a little too long. I remember walking out of our building with a gal I knew lived in NKY and telling her she should be extra careful as she would be heading right into what eventually was the Piner tornado's path. I had been tracking the Holton tornado and as I was leaving I figured that track would bring one right near my own house. That was the one that got to Indiana I believe Dearborn or Ohio county near Lawrenceburg when it dissipated. I was so sure I'd see the Elephant that day, but I was OK with being wrong, too close to home!
I remember reading Aaron/FyrFiyter's posts about Moscow, and watching the news special on Local12. That was a day I won't soon forget, that's for sure.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We will probably be tracking another event at some point like this again. I hope that it's later rather then sooner. It's the same sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that you always get before a big storm. I've felt it tracking big storms over the SE, Plains and even with the past December outbreak that rocked SW KY. Tracking is what we do and you hope what we do can one day save a life if it comes down to it.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Still such a sad memory. It was a Friday afternoon and the friend who lost her partner was at work. She was on the phone with him and he was talking about how bad it looked as he was driving. The next thing that happen was the phone went quiet. The tornado took his truck and slammed it to the ground and he lost his life. Her father had to come to her job and pick her up that evening as she was a mess. Though I was not a close friend to him he was a great guy and the times we spent together were always pleasant.
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tpweather wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 pm Still such a sad memory. It was a Friday afternoon and the friend who lost her partner was at work. She was on the phone with him and he was talking about how bad it looked as he was driving. The next thing that happen was the phone went quiet. The tornado took his truck and slammed it to the ground and he lost his life. Her father had to come to her job and pick her up that evening as she was a mess. Though I was not a close friend to him he was a great guy and the times we spent together were always pleasant.
very sad, Tim. Sorry for all who lost loved ones during that terrible day.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Per ILN, KY's State Wide Tornado drill this year will be on March 2nd (of all days LOL) at 10:07am. All weather radios in KY will broadcast a test tornado warning at that time. It's a good time to review your safety plans should a warning be issued for your county.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Ohio's Severe Weather Awareness Week isn't until March 20th - 26th and statewide tornado drill on March 23rd at 9:50 AM.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Today is THE DAY! Per BG, a graphic of all tor warnings from the event centered over LOU's CWA.

TORWARNINGS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

20Z Severe Wx Convective Outlooks and Graphics from the SPC for 3/2/12:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlo ... _2000.html
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:01 am Today is THE DAY! Per BG, a graphic of all tor warnings from the event centered over LOU's CWA.

TORWARNINGS.jpg
As has been said many times over the years, we truly did get very lucky here in Cincinnati…
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:01 am Today is THE DAY! Per BG, a graphic of all tor warnings from the event centered over LOU's CWA.

TORWARNINGS.jpg
As has been said many times over the years, we truly did get very lucky here in Cincinnati…
Yep. The beginnings of the Piner tornado passed 5 miles south of my hood. :lol: It was a close call!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page