January 15-17, 2022 Winter Storm Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: January 15-17, 2022 Winter Storm Discussion

Post by tron777 »

A really nice interactive map from the boys where you can easily monitor snowfall reports:

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snow ... 3.85&hr=24
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:44 pm I'm glad I got the snow removed from the driveway. That layer of sleet underneath either got scraped up, or whatever is left, is melting due to just enough radiation making it through the clouds. Should have plenty of time for the water to dry up before it gets cold tonight to avoid refreezing issues.
I am lucky my driveway faces the southwest which is wonderful in the winter. The problem is I must shovel or my hill becomes an ice skating rink and can never make it into the garage. After all the forecasts from the folks on here I believe if you took a piece from everyone's forecast it would have been perfect. I love it since we have folks on here who do it their own way and believe in themselves and sure we all miss forecasts sometimes but the reasoning behind the forecasts are well thought out always. This system was just a tight rope on where the cutoff of snow would be and good luck with those kind of forecasts.Models can help but so can analog storms and also just memory analogs the Bgoney talked about this weekend.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Love the interactive map Les I see these in the midwest all the time and even with decent snows amounts can very quite a bit in a short distance so that makes forecasting that much harder. Again rainfall amounts nobody gets blamed for missing the amounts but snowfall amounts folks just dont realize how tough it is to get a perfect forecast. Never seen one yet so always something to strive for lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:44 pm I'm glad I got the snow removed from the driveway. That layer of sleet underneath either got scraped up, or whatever is left, is melting due to just enough radiation making it through the clouds. Should have plenty of time for the water to dry up before it gets cold tonight to avoid refreezing issues.
I am lucky my driveway faces the southwest which is wonderful in the winter. The problem is I must shovel or my hill becomes an ice skating rink and can never make it into the garage. After all the forecasts from the folks on here I believe if you took a piece from everyone's forecast it would have been perfect. I love it since we have folks on here who do it their own way and believe in themselves and sure we all miss forecasts sometimes but the reasoning behind the forecasts are well thought out always. This system was just a tight rope on where the cutoff of snow would be and good luck with those kind of forecasts.Models can help but so can analog storms and also just memory analogs the Bgoney talked about this weekend.
My driveway faces north so it doesn't thaw much esp the bottom in winter. Backyard melts fast, faces the south. sun bakes the heck out of it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The mean snowfall total for the next system at CVG is already at 1.5 inches. Lets get started on the next system.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 pm The mean snowfall total for the next system at CVG is already at 1.5 inches. Lets get started on the next system.
Not sure if it'll be worthy of its own thread, but we are absolutely talking about it and the clipper train next week in the January thread.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

ended up with 3 inches of wet concrete here ! it was awful . i had to shovel a little bit where i cant get my tractor in, what a back breaker, man I hope we never get that kind of snow ever again !
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 pm MJ - I love the Mario and Luigi hats on the kids. I think I said that last year! :lol: Just got done shoveling my driveway during my lunch hour too. :thumbsup:
:lol: I think you did! They're our faves. Boys earned some money shovels ng, now we're curled up inside.

Nice storm! Still hoping for a huge one by winters end but so nice to feel like it's winter!
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:47 pm ended up with 3 inches of wet concrete here ! it was awful . i had to shovel a little bit where i cant get my tractor in, what a back breaker, man I hope we never get that kind of snow ever again !
I was wondering how you did Charles. Any precip type issues?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MJSun wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:51 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 pm MJ - I love the Mario and Luigi hats on the kids. I think I said that last year! :lol: Just got done shoveling my driveway during my lunch hour too. :thumbsup:
:lol: I think you did! They're our faves. Boys earned some money shovels ng, now we're curled up inside.

Nice storm! Still hoping for a huge one by winters end but so nice to feel like it's winter!
The upcoming pattern is loaded with chances so hopefully we'll get some more to pan out. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 pm
tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 pm The mean snowfall total for the next system at CVG is already at 1.5 inches. Lets get started on the next system.
Not sure if it'll be worthy of its own thread, but we are absolutely talking about it and the clipper train next week in the January thread.
Les could be a tricky little system so maybe by this time on Tuesday it will have its own thread.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:06 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 pm
Les could be a tricky little system so maybe by this time on Tuesday it will have its own thread.
I'll be happy to do it if it keeps getting stronger and coming more north. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A full listing of reports into ILN:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20220117
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page