Rocktober 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: Rocktober 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney, the good thing is in the extended chances are going up for many areas from the GOM to the mid-west and Ohio Valley. I have been lucky this year and got rain while others have been missed. Last year during the late summer and fall I missed every rain chance. I know my son up in northern Wisconsin were in drought conditions but over the past several weeks that was wiped out with much above rainfall. Of course they don't get the yearly rainfall that happens here so it was a tad easier getting out of those conditions. Would be nice to see 2-4 inches between the 12th and end of the month. I would love to hear from some farmers and hear their thoughts because if I really want the experts on weather I go to them.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tpweather wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:27 am Bgoney, the good thing is in the extended chances are going up for many areas from the GOM to the mid-west and Ohio Valley. I have been lucky this year and got rain while others have been missed. Last year during the late summer and fall I missed every rain chance. I know my son up in northern Wisconsin were in drought conditions but over the past several weeks that was wiped out with much above rainfall. Of course they don't get the yearly rainfall that happens here so it was a tad easier getting out of those conditions. Would be nice to see 2-4 inches between the 12th and end of the month. I would love to hear from some farmers and hear their thoughts because if I really want the experts on weather I go to them.

Tim , the farmer’s didn’t do too bad , in our region. Te saving grace was getting the crops in the ground early and establishing a significant root system enabling them to withstand a drought better, 1 or 2 weeks made a big difference from what could have been a disaster. As far as trees and shrubs, I’m in constant contact with a couple certified arborist and several nurserymen , and trust me , the drought stress is significant already
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Had some nice rain finally. Two rain gauges have 7 tenths in them. It rained hard for a little bit. Enough to wash the pile of leaves down the street that was behind my tire. I did move the truck so that could happen.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:47 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:27 am Bgoney, the good thing is in the extended chances are going up for many areas from the GOM to the mid-west and Ohio Valley. I have been lucky this year and got rain while others have been missed. Last year during the late summer and fall I missed every rain chance. I know my son up in northern Wisconsin were in drought conditions but over the past several weeks that was wiped out with much above rainfall. Of course they don't get the yearly rainfall that happens here so it was a tad easier getting out of those conditions. Would be nice to see 2-4 inches between the 12th and end of the month. I would love to hear from some farmers and hear their thoughts because if I really want the experts on weather I go to them.

Tim , the farmer’s didn’t do too bad , in our region. Te saving grace was getting the crops in the ground early and establishing a significant root system enabling them to withstand a drought better, 1 or 2 weeks made a big difference from what could have been a disaster. As far as trees and shrubs, I’m in constant contact with a couple certified arborist and several nurserymen , and trust me , the drought stress is significant already
Thanks for the info. I thought the farmers were doing okay but again I have no personal knowledge. I knew you had contacts with a few arborist's and nurserymen and that first hand knowledge is wonderful. My trees and bushes seem okay except for a couple of boxwood's. I know something has been attaching them this year and saw many in the neighborhood really look bad in the early summer but mine finally started to see stress in August. They don't look dead but the color is faint. I guess next spring I will find out how bad they turn out though I am thinking about replacing them anyway.
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tpweather wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:41 am

Thanks for the info. I thought the farmers were doing okay but again I have no personal knowledge. I knew you had contacts with a few arborist's and nurserymen and that first hand knowledge is wonderful. My trees and bushes seem okay except for a couple of boxwood's. I know something has been attaching them this year and saw many in the neighborhood really look bad in the early summer but mine finally started to see stress in August. They don't look dead but the color is faint. I guess next spring I will find out how bad they turn out though I am thinking about replacing them anyway.
Yes, there is something attacking the boxwoods pretty hard. My BIL's across the street is about half brown/yellow. We just had our front landscape done in July, and the boxwoods they planted are showing a little sign of it, but hopefully it doesn't get worse.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My gauge picked up .40" from yesterday. :)

Currently 66 here in G'ville and is ILN's high up my way for today. :sunny:
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

House of Cards wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:47 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:41 am

Yes, there is something attacking the boxwoods pretty hard. My BIL's across the street is about half brown/yellow. We just had our front landscape done in July, and the boxwoods they planted are showing a little sign of it, but hopefully it doesn't get worse.
Boxwoods were among the plants to be hit the hardest from last years fall drought. The lack of moisture going into December last year made them considerably vulnerable to winter burn . It didn’t allow them to to properly prepare and to reach their maximum hardiness zone for winter, and then to have the sudden drop of temperatures in December was the perfect storm for damage. Drought stress also makes a tree or shrub more vulnerable to disease and insect damage as their abilities for fighting off either, are impaired
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY MIKEYP!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :)

Enjoy your special day, Wxbuddy! 8-)
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

MVWxObserver wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:25 pm HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY MIKEYP!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :)

Enjoy your special day, Wxbuddy! 8-)
Happy Bday MikeyP. 35 years old then I must being getting really old. Enjoy your day and hope its the best Bday ever!!!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Starting to get a cooler breeze though the front is several hours away. When the front comes through a showers is possible but it won't last long. Then the big drop in temp overnight. Weekend will feel more like mid-November so enjoy as we know mid-November can be quite breezy and cloudy.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:24 pm Starting to get a cooler breeze though the front is several hours away. When the front comes through a showers is possible but it won't last long. Then the big drop in temp overnight. Weekend will feel more like mid-November so enjoy as we know mid-November can be quite breezy and cloudy.
Yep, bro, we go from late summer-like 80s, to springlike 70s and 60s yesterday and today, to BOOM winter-like 40s for Sat morning. ;)

Nothing subtle about tonight's / Sat morning's lows. :thumbsup:
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_0651.jpeg
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 73, DAY 72 and CMH 75 on Fri.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

ILN clowning around this morning for here in G'ville! :lol:

Temp is currently at 41.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

43 back home this morning. Sunny and in the low 40s here in S Michigan as well. Had some light rain last evening with that secondary front.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Currently in CMH
IMG_4710.jpeg
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

young pup wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:51 pm Currently in CMHIMG_4710.jpeg
Grapel :o
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pmIMG_0651.jpeg
That map looks nice as Les went 0.15-0.35 and I went 0.25-0.50. My guess a few areas either side of those numbers as well. My final total was 0.31
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and it feels wonderful outside. Some frost advisories to the south and southeast of the local area where the winds should die down enough for possible frost especially in the valleys. Sunday night and Monday night expect more advisories to go up which covers more areas and even folks in Wisconsin and Michigan who have been dealing with the wind and clouds to much but better shots those two nights.

A slow warming trend for the week and then we wait and see how the end of the week plays out. Going to be some energy around in the central USA but how it comes together is still up in the air but it does look like the GOM may finally be open for business.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:10 pm
young pup wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:51 pm Currently in CMHIMG_4710.jpeg
Grapel :o

Yep, and it looks like according to ILN I wasn't the only to see around here.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Eric Elwell of spectrum news posted this on FB. Crazy day on the lake.
waterspout.jpg
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:30 pm
Bgoney wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pmIMG_0651.jpeg
That map looks nice as Les went 0.15-0.35 and I went 0.25-0.50. My guess a few areas either side of those numbers as well. My final total was 0.31
.40" for my gauge. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

young pup wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:57 pm Eric Elwell of spectrum news posted this on FB. Crazy day on the lake.

waterspout.jpg
Glad that Les didn't plan an Oct Erie fishing trip. ;)